How Does Physics Apply to a Jumping Spinning Crescent Kick in Martial Arts?

• Thread starter Ninjabuddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a student has started their first year of Physics in high school and is working on a project about the physics of their favorite hobby, martial arts. They are specifically focusing on a jumping spinning crescent kick and are seeking help on understanding the basic physics behind each step of the kick, including inertia, angular momentum, and energy requirements. They have received some suggestions from others, including considering the gathering of momentum as a step in the kick.
Ninjabuddy
Hey guys, I've just started my first year of Physics in High School and so far, it's really interesting! Great too see just how everything around us actually works!

Anyway, I've got a question for everyone. To introduce us to Physics and better acquaint ourselves with the world, our teacher is making us do a project on the physics of our favorite hobby, and my favorite hobby just happens to be Martial Arts, so I decided to do the physics of a certain type of kick called a jumping spinning crescent kick. If any of you do martial arts, you should know what the kick looks like, and if you don't, here's a tutorial of it.

http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/t_360

Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the first thing that strikes me is inertia and angular momentum. And a kind of projectile orbit.

Hey,

You could do something based in basic mechanics, e.g. how much energy is required for a human of a said mass to get high enough to get a kick in. I dunno, just throwing really random ideas at you to be honest. I also thought of angular momentum when I was reading your post but not inertia; I like it. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Thanks for the help and some really interesting ideas. I should have been a bit more clear in my first post about what exactly I was looking for. I was thinking of doing the basic physics behind each step in the kick, such as gathering momentum as you step into get a higher launch or something to that effect.

Related to How Does Physics Apply to a Jumping Spinning Crescent Kick in Martial Arts?

1. What is physics?

Physics is the scientific study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world and how these can be used to explain and predict phenomena.

2. What are some basic concepts in physics?

Some basic concepts in physics include motion, forces, energy, and matter. These concepts are interconnected and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of objects in the physical world.

3. Why is it important to study physics?

Studying physics helps us understand the world around us and how it works. It also allows us to develop new technologies and innovations that improve our lives. Additionally, physics provides a foundation for other scientific disciplines and helps us make sense of complex systems and phenomena.

4. What are some common challenges for beginners in physics?

Some common challenges for beginners in physics include understanding complex mathematical concepts, visualizing abstract concepts, and applying theoretical principles to real-world situations. It is important to approach these challenges with patience, practice, and a willingness to ask for help when needed.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

To improve your understanding of physics, it is important to actively engage with the material by taking notes, practicing problems, and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. It can also be helpful to approach the subject with curiosity and a willingness to experiment and explore different concepts.