How Does Orientation Direction Affect Stokes' Theorem Calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of a curve on a cone, specifically between y=0 and y=3, and how it is oriented in the direction of the positive y-axis. The conversation also discusses the use of different coordinate systems and how they may affect the direction of the curve. The final conclusion is that the curve should be traveled in a clockwise direction in order to follow the orientation towards the positive y-axis.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

F = <x^2 y^3 z, sin(xyz), xyz>
S is part of the cone y^2 = x^2 + z^2 that lies between y = 0 and y = 3.
Oriented in the direction of the positive y-axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do the integral, and I get the correct answer except it's the negative of the answer. My question is, what direction does "oriented in the direction of the positive y-axis" imply? I thought it was CCW, but if I do that, I get the opposite of the answer.

I am using
x = 3cos(t)
y = 3
z = 3sin(t)

My books uses
x = 3sin(t)
y = 3
z = 3cos(t)

But I'm not sure why they would use that, unless the direction of the curve is CW...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does CCW vs. CW really mean? Imagine we have
z axis
|
|
|
|
----------x axis

and the positive y-axis going into the plane. So our cross section is going to be a circle at each point of y. Oriented in the direction of the positive y-axis means the unit normal should be pointing in the positive y direction, note in this case that means it's inside the cone. So on the rim, it should travel s.t. on the inside of the cone, the surface is to your left. So your head (if you were walking around the boundary), would be pointing towards the y-axis in this case. The surface is to your left, so if you can imagine it, you would be (if standing so z=y, x=0) upside down in the picture above (if everything was drawn in). Thus, you would be looking to what we call the right, and would actually travel clockwise in this case

Thank you, it was driving me nuts, now i understand

Related to How Does Orientation Direction Affect Stokes' Theorem Calculations?

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the total value of a function along a specific path or curve. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and can be used to find quantities such as work, energy, and flux.

What is the Stokes Theorem?

The Stokes Theorem is a mathematical theorem that establishes a relationship between a line integral and a surface integral. It states that the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve is equal to the surface integral of the curl of the vector field over the surface enclosed by the curve.

What is the significance of the Stokes Theorem?

The Stokes Theorem is significant because it allows us to compute line integrals over complex curves by converting them into surface integrals over simpler surfaces. This makes it a powerful tool in vector calculus and is used in many real-world applications such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

What are the conditions for applying the Stokes Theorem?

The conditions for applying the Stokes Theorem are that the curve must be a closed curve, the surface enclosed by the curve must be smooth, and the vector field must be continuously differentiable on the surface.

How is the Stokes Theorem related to other theorems in vector calculus?

The Stokes Theorem is closely related to other theorems in vector calculus, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the Divergence Theorem. It can also be seen as a generalization of Green's Theorem, which relates a line integral to a double integral over a region in the plane.