How Does Newton's Third Law Apply to a Rebounding Nitrogen Molecule?

In summary: NIn summary, the average acceleration of the nitrogen molecule during the given time interval is -3.19x10^15 m/s^2. Using Newton's Third Law, we can determine that the average force exerted by the molecule on the wall is 1.49x10^-10 N.
jantyme
Here is the question I'm having trouble with:

The average speed of a nitrogen molecule is about 6.70x10^2 m/s, and its mass is about 4.68x10^ -26 kg.

(a) If it takes 4.20x10^ -13 s for a nitrogen molecule to hit a wall and rebound with the same speed but moving in an opposite direction (assumed to be the negative direction), what is the average acceleration of the molecule during this time interval?

(b) What average force does the molecule exert on the wall?

I've alread gotten the answer to part (a), I took the change in velocity over that interval of time ( -6.70x10^2 - 6.70x10^2) and devided it by the time. Which makes the answer to part (a) -3.19x10^15 m/s^2. I'm just lost on the second part. I must be using the wrong acceleration in the force equation or something. I know that F=ma but which acceleration do I use and maybe I didn't add all of the forces up? I don't know any help would be wonderful. Thanks in advance for your time. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
jantyme said:
Here is the question I'm having trouble with:

The average speed of a nitrogen molecule is about 6.70x10^2 m/s, and its mass is about 4.68x10^ -26 kg.

(a) If it takes 4.20x10^ -13 s for a nitrogen molecule to hit a wall and rebound with the same speed but moving in an opposite direction (assumed to be the negative direction), what is the average acceleration of the molecule during this time interval?

(b) What average force does the molecule exert on the wall?

I've alread gotten the answer to part (a), I took the change in velocity over that interval of time ( -6.70x10^2 - 6.70x10^2) and devided it by the time. Which makes the answer to part (a) -3.19x10^15 m/s^2. I'm just lost on the second part. I must be using the wrong acceleration in the force equation or something. I know that F=ma but which acceleration do I use and maybe I didn't add all of the forces up? I don't know any help would be wonderful. Thanks in advance for your time. :confused:
You found the average acceleration during that time so what is the average force beyond m * average a? Edit: weird the impulse (force * dt) should equal your original momentum but it's off by a factor of two. Hah nevermind I'm silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newton's Laws

I agree with your value for the acceleration. It sounds like you've done everything correctly there. To get part (b) you have to remember Newton's Third Law. In this case, Newton's Third Law should read: Force of wall on molecule = - (Force of molecule on wall). Now since we know what the acceleration of the molecule is, we know what the force on the molecule is via F=ma. From Newton's Third Law we know that the force on the wall is equal and opposite to this force on the molecule. Thus, F_wall = - (4.68x10^ -26 kg)*(-3.19x10^15 m/s^2). Notice that the force on the wall will be positive (the two negative signs cancel) as it should be since you picked the positive horizontal axis to be towards the wall.

This is the first time I posted anything on this forum and I wanted to try out some LaTeX so ignore the stuff that's below this line.

[tex]F_{molecule,wall} = -F_{wall, molecule}[/tex]

Related to How Does Newton's Third Law Apply to a Rebounding Nitrogen Molecule?

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws apply to everyday life?

Newton's laws can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, the first law can be seen when a car comes to a stop after the brakes are applied - the car's motion is changed by an external force. The second law can be seen when a person pushes a shopping cart and it accelerates in the direction of the force applied. The third law can be seen when a person jumps off a diving board and the board pushes back with an equal force.

3. What is the difference between Newton's first, second, and third laws?

The first law deals with the concept of inertia and states that objects will maintain their state of motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law deals with the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. The third law deals with the idea that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. How are Newton's laws related to each other?

Newton's laws are related in that they build upon each other. The first law is necessary for the second law to exist, as it establishes the concept of inertia. The second law is necessary for the third law to exist, as it explains how forces are related to each other. Together, the three laws provide a comprehensive understanding of how objects behave in motion.

5. Can Newton's laws be broken or disproven?

No, Newton's laws have been extensively tested and have been proven to accurately describe the behavior of objects in motion. However, they are only applicable in certain situations and may not hold true in extreme circumstances, such as near the speed of light or in the quantum realm. In those cases, Einstein's theory of relativity and quantum mechanics must be used instead.