How Does Modular Arithmetic Simplify Integer Divisibility Proofs?

In summary, the statement states that if $a$ divides $b$ and $b$ divides $c$, then $a$ also divides $c$.
shamieh
Let $a$, $b$, and $c$ be integers, where a $\ne$ 0. Then
$$
$$
(i) if $a$ | $b$ and $a$ | $c$, then $a$ | ($b+c$)
$$
$$
(ii) if $a$ | $b$ and $a$|$bc$ for all integers $c$;
$$
$$
(iii) if $a$ |$b$ and $b$|$c$, then $a$|$c$.

**Prove that if $a$|$b$ and $b$|$c$ then $a$|$c$ using a column proof that has steps in the first column
and the reason for the step in the second column.**

Here is what I was thinking.. Would this be sufficient enough?$(iii)\ \ \ \dfrac{b}a,\,\dfrac{c}b\in\Bbb Z\ \Rightarrow\ \dfrac{b}a\dfrac{c}b = \dfrac{c}a\in\Bbb Z$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I would state (where $k_i\in\mathbb{Z}$):

(iii) \(\displaystyle a|b\implies b=k_1a\,\land\,b|c\implies c=k_2b=k_1k_2a=k_3a\,\therefore\,a|c\)

Related to How Does Modular Arithmetic Simplify Integer Divisibility Proofs?

1. What is a modular division?

A modular division, also known as a remainder division or clock arithmetic, is a mathematical operation where the remainder from dividing two numbers is the result. It is denoted by the symbol "%".

2. How is modular division useful?

Modular division is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as number theory, cryptography, and computer science. It allows us to find patterns and relationships between numbers, and is also used in algorithms for efficient computation.

3. What is a proof of modular division?

A proof of modular division is a mathematical argument or demonstration that shows the validity and correctness of the modular division operation. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical principles to show that the remainder obtained through modular division is indeed the correct result.

4. What are some common techniques used in proofs of modular division?

There are several techniques used in proofs of modular division, including the division algorithm, Euclidean algorithm, and the Chinese remainder theorem. These techniques rely on properties of integers, such as divisibility and congruence, to prove the validity of modular division.

5. Are there any real-world applications of modular division?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of modular division. For example, it is used in computer programming for tasks such as generating random numbers and checking for evenly divisible quantities. It is also used in cryptography for secure communication and data encryption.