How Does Measuring Position Impact Speed Measurement Accuracy in a Pendulum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of measuring the position of a pendulum on the accuracy of its speed measurement. The accuracy of the speed measurement is known, and the position is measured with 10% accuracy of the amplitude. The suggestion is to use an expression for the pendulum's velocity in terms of its position to find the uncertainty in velocity and improve the overall knowledge of the system. The question of whether this is a Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle problem is raised, but it is determined that quantum effects would be negligible in this case. The idea that measuring both position and velocity can reduce the error is discussed.
skrat

Homework Statement

We have a pendulum in thermal balance with the surroundings - no damping. We measure the speed of the pendulum. The accuracy of each speed measurement is known. How does the accuracy of the speed change, if we decide also measure the position of the pendulum with accuracy 10% of the amplitude?

Homework Equations

Just anything you can think of.

The Attempt at a Solution

Believe me, I would be more than happy to show anything. It has been quite some time since I first came across this problem but I still have no idea how to continue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle oriented problem?

Not necessary but it could also be included.
The topic I am dealing with is "Measurement and measuring systems in Physics". The goal is more to simply use all of the knowledge he have, if solving this problem includes using Heisenberg Principle, than so be it.

You could try writing an expression for the pendulum's velocity in terms of its position along its trajectory. Then find the uncertainty in velocity due to the uncertainty of position by taking a differential. I'm assuming it's not a Heisenberg uncertainty problem since quantum effects would be negligible (unless your pendulum is very very small).

What do you measure ? The speed of a pendulum ? That's a function of time. Or the period ? That depends on the amplitude.
See e.g. http://web.mit.edu/8.01t/www/materials/modules/chapter24.pdf, appendix.

I assumed the instantaneous speed could be measured with a photogate of some kind (with some uncertainty in itself) but if there is also uncertainty in the pendulum's position when the speed is measured, it would add additional error to the speed measurement.

Yes the speed is a function of time but so is the angle (thus position), so you can eliminate the time variable. It is possible I'm misinterpreting something.

Miles Whitmore said:
I assumed the instantaneous speed could be measured with a photogate of some kind (with some uncertainty in itself) but if there is also uncertainty in the pendulum's position when the speed is measured, it would add additional error to the speed measurement.

I am almost 100% sure this is not the case. Of course each measurement of the velocity has it's well defined uncertainty BUT if I can (at the same time) measure also it's position, that this should improve my result not make the error even bigger.

The first case, measuring the velocity only and having no idea of pendulum's position, gives me a certain value of it's velocity.

However measuring the position of the pendulum and using some basic math, I improve my knowledge of the system and what exactly is happening, therefore if I combine both measurements (as the problem states) the error should reduce. Or am I wrong?

Related to How Does Measuring Position Impact Speed Measurement Accuracy in a Pendulum?

1. What is a pendulum in thermal balance?

A pendulum in thermal balance refers to a pendulum that is at a state of equilibrium where its temperature remains constant, despite changes in the ambient temperature. This is achieved by using materials with low thermal expansion coefficients, such as invar, and by controlling the temperature of the pendulum's surroundings.

2. How does a pendulum in thermal balance work?

A pendulum in thermal balance works by maintaining a constant length, which is necessary for its timekeeping accuracy. This is achieved by using materials with low thermal expansion coefficients, as well as by controlling the temperature of the pendulum's surroundings. This ensures that the pendulum's length does not change due to temperature fluctuations.

3. Why is a pendulum in thermal balance important in scientific experiments?

A pendulum in thermal balance is important in scientific experiments because it provides a stable and accurate reference for timekeeping. This is crucial for experiments that require precise measurements, such as in the fields of physics and astronomy. By keeping the pendulum's temperature constant, any changes in its period can be attributed to external factors, making it a reliable tool for experiments.

4. What are the challenges in achieving thermal balance in a pendulum?

One of the main challenges in achieving thermal balance in a pendulum is finding materials with low thermal expansion coefficients. This is necessary to prevent the pendulum's length from changing due to temperature fluctuations. Another challenge is controlling the temperature of the pendulum's surroundings, as even small changes in temperature can affect its accuracy. Additionally, external factors such as air currents and vibrations can also disrupt the thermal balance of the pendulum.

5. How can one ensure that a pendulum is in thermal balance?

To ensure that a pendulum is in thermal balance, it is important to use materials with low thermal expansion coefficients, such as invar, for the pendulum's components. The temperature of the pendulum's surroundings should also be controlled and monitored regularly. Any changes in the pendulum's timekeeping accuracy should also be investigated, as they could be a sign of external factors disrupting its thermal balance.