How Does Mass Distort Spacetime?

In summary, the author discusses how mass distorts spacetime and how this can be visualized with an analogy of a bowling ball on a rubber membrane. He goes on to say that mass does not distort spacetime in the same way as a bowling ball on a rubber membrane, and that the gravitational field couples universally.
jlorino
ok if gravity is mass distorting spacetime then how does mass distort it like a bowling ball on a rubber membrane?
i would think it would need something to pull it down :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
jlorino said:
ok if gravity is mass distorting spacetime then how does mass distort it like a bowling ball on a rubber membrane?
i would think it would need something to pull it down :confused:

LOL, it's an analogy so it's lacking the precise nuances you're looking for. I personally don't believe we humans are equipped to visualize (in 3D) the warping of 4D spacetime. The same way stick figures can't comprehend a sphere...they can glance it with a series of circles that grow, then shrink, but they can't think or visualize in 3D.

The bowling ball analogy uses gravity (the ball pulling the membrane down) to define gravity. Don't get caught up in the analogy, just revel in the evidence that supports the theory. :D

ok but what are the factors that warp spacetime?

I personally think that it's a mistake to interpret gravity as being identical to spacetime, and thus mass as deforming spacetime just as the analogous case where a bowling ball bends a rubber sheet. I think then we're basically talking about container space (a legacy of Newtonian physics) and one thing that general relativity shows, I believe, is that spacetime does not contain massive objects.

Remember that the gravitational field couples universally since it is generated, and effects, massive objects. Every object we can empirically experience has mass (mass-energy) so every object generates, and is influenced by, a gravitational force. Because of this, we can then use the gravitational field to define relative distances and relative acceleration. These relative distances and relative accelerations come in the form of the metric.

So gravity is not identical with spacetime. Gravity constitutes spacetime. What we perceive to be spacetime is a phenomenological manifestation of the gravitational field.

So why do we "perceive" spacetime to be warped? Because that is the way the gravitational field propagates.

o ok i get it now
i was just reading "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene
and had a question

thanx

Related to How Does Mass Distort Spacetime?

1. How does mass distort spacetime?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, mass causes spacetime to curve. This means that objects with mass, like planets and stars, create a depression in the fabric of spacetime, causing other objects to move towards them.

2. How does this distortion affect the motion of objects?

The curvature of spacetime caused by mass affects the motion of objects by altering their paths. Objects follow the curvature of spacetime, which can result in orbits, gravitational attraction, and the bending of light.

3. Can we observe the distortion of spacetime caused by mass?

Yes, the distortion of spacetime caused by mass has been observed through various phenomena such as the bending of starlight near massive objects, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the gravitational lensing of distant galaxies.

4. Does the amount of mass determine the degree of distortion in spacetime?

Yes, the more massive an object is, the greater its effect on the curvature of spacetime. This is why massive objects like black holes have an extremely strong gravitational pull and can even bend light around them.

5. How does this concept of mass distorting spacetime impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of mass distorting spacetime is crucial to our understanding of the universe. It explains the force of gravity and the behavior of objects in the cosmos. It also plays a role in the formation of galaxies and the expansion of the universe.