How Does Kinetic Energy Affect Spring Compression in Simple Harmonics?

• Thread starter roughneck84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonics
In summary, the conversation discusses a question related to simple harmonics and the use of formulas for calculations. The first question involves finding the kinetic energy and distance traveled in a car collision. The second question is about proving the maximum speed of a mass on a spring. The conversation also delves into the concept of conservation of energy and how it applies to the given scenario. Ultimately, the formula for energy stored in a compressed spring is used to find the distance traveled by the spring.
roughneck84
[SOLVED] Plz help w/ Simple harmonics question

I am doing simple harmonics and running into problems. The formulas given for simple harmonis in my book are f=[1 / 2(pi)]square_root (k /m) or
f=[1 / 2(pi)]square_root (a /-x). The question reads:

Car 1 has a spring-loaded rear bumper with a force constant of 840000 N/m. A second vehicle, car 2 (with a mass of 1500 kg), travels at a constant speed of 18 km/h, hitting car 1 in the rear bumper.

a) calculate the kinetic energy for car 2.

for this I used
Ek = ½ mv^2
Ek = ½ (1500 kg)(5 m/s)^2
Ek = 1.9 x 10^4 J

b) calculate the distance that car 1's bumper will compress if car 2 comes to a complete stop after striking it ?

from the information given i can calculate the frequency but from there I can't figure the rest

Also I have another harmonics question. Prove that the maximum speed (V{max}) of a mass on a spring is given by 2(pi)fA.

where f = frequency and A =Amplitude? I'm guessing I have to rearrange one of formulas given at the top of the post. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to question (a) is correct. For question (b) I offer a hint: consider conservation of energy.

the law of conservation states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Would i calculate the potential energy of car 1 and add it to the kinetic energy of car 2?

roughneck84 said:
the law of conservation states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Would i calculate the potential energy of car 1 and add it to the kinetic energy of car 2?
Before the collision, car two has some kinetic energy. When car two collides with car one's bumper, it will compress the spring(s). After the collision, car two comes to a complete stop, assuming that car one's speed remains constant this means that all car two's kinetic energy has been converted to ______________.

Potential energy ?

so in this question Ek = Ep? from there where do i go to find the distance traveled by the spring?

Hootenanny said:
Before the collision, car two has some kinetic energy. When car two collides with car one's bumper, it will compress the spring(s). After the collision, car two comes to a complete stop, assuming that car one's speed remains constant this means that all car two's kinetic energy has been converted to ______________.

Potential energy ? so would Ek=Ep ? from there how do i find the distance that the spring travelled?

roughneck84 said:
Potential energy ?
Correct :approve:
roughneck84 said:
so in this question Ek = Ep? from there where do i go to find the distance traveled by the spring?
Correct again :approve:
roughneck84 said:
from there how do i find the distance that the spring travelled?
What is the expression for the energy stored in a compressed spring?

Last edited:
Et = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2
I think i get it. I use the value above that I calculated for Ek, put that as Et in the formula then isolate to solve for x.

roughneck84 said:
Et = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2
I think i get it. I use the value above that I calculated for Ek, put that as Et in the formula then isolate to solve for x.
Correct :approve:

originally i thought that was what i do. however i run into a problem when i do that. If Et = Ek and Ek= 1/2mv^2. If i look at the formula i should get
1900 J = 1900 J + 1/2kx^2.
1900 J - 1900 J = 1/2kx^2
0 = 1/2 kx2
i can't have a 0 divided by 1/2k

Note that initially v = 18 km/h therefore, your total energy will be equal to the kinetic energy of car 2 (1900J). After the collision v = 0 (the car has stopped), therefore the kinetic energy term disappears and you're equation becomes,

1900 J = 1/2kx^2

Do you follow?

Last edited:
well explained I understand thank you very much

roughneck84 said:
well explained I understand thank you very much
A pleasure :smile:

Related to How Does Kinetic Energy Affect Spring Compression in Simple Harmonics?

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This means that as the object moves away from its equilibrium position, the restoring force increases, pulling the object back towards its equilibrium position. Examples of simple harmonic motion include a pendulum swinging back and forth and a mass on a spring.

2. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A*cos(ωt), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude (maximum displacement), ω is the angular frequency (2π divided by the time period), and t is time. This equation can also be written in terms of velocity and acceleration as v = -A*ω*sin(ωt) and a = -A*ω^2*cos(ωt), respectively.

3. How do you calculate the period of a Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period of a Simple Harmonic Motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the motion. It can be calculated using the equation T = 2π/ω, where T is the period and ω is the angular frequency. Alternatively, the period can be calculated by measuring the time it takes for the object to complete one full cycle of its motion.

4. What are the applications of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion has many practical applications in science and engineering. For example, it is used in the design of suspension systems in cars, the movement of clock pendulums, and the oscillation of atoms in molecules. It is also used in the study of sound waves and electromagnetic waves.

5. How does amplitude affect Simple Harmonic Motion?

The amplitude of Simple Harmonic Motion is the maximum displacement from equilibrium. As the amplitude increases, the period of the motion remains the same, but the speed of the object increases. This means that the object will reach its maximum displacement faster and oscillate more quickly. Additionally, the amplitude affects the amount of potential and kinetic energy in the system, with larger amplitudes resulting in greater energy.