How Does Integrating Modified Newton's Law Lead to the Velocity Formula V(t)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the modified Newton's Law with a constant force and how to find the velocity at a given time using integration. The equation for velocity at time t is V(t)=c [(Ft/mc)/(1+ Ft/mc)]. The conversation also mentions that this equation is valid for relativity and is reported in a textbook.
bhsmith

Homework Statement

Starting from the modified Newton's Law

(dp(rel))/dt=F

with a constant Force F, and assuming that the particle starts with v=0 at time t=0, show that the velocity at time t is given by

V(t)=c [(Ft/mc)/(1+ Ft/mc)]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I can integrate both sides of the equation with respect to time and solve, but I'm stuck on how to start that off. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrate, you find p=Ft, substitute p=mv/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), some arithmetics and you fininshed, your solution is wrong, is valid for v^2

I figured that one out too. But that equation for v(t) is stated in the problem. I'm thinking it might be different because it is supposed to be a "modified" Newton's Law for relativity instead of the classical equation P(class)=mv

my result is correct for relativity (at least for special as far i know), it is even reported in my textbook

I would approach this problem by first understanding the context and assumptions of the given information. It appears that we are dealing with a particle moving under the influence of a constant force, and we are asked to find the velocity of the particle at a given time t.

To start off, let's recall the definition of acceleration from Newton's second law: a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force, and m is the mass of the particle. We can rearrange this equation to solve for the force: F = ma.

Now, let's integrate both sides of the modified Newton's Law equation with respect to time:

∫(dp(rel))/dt dt = ∫F dt

The left side of the equation becomes the change in momentum (p) of the particle, and the right side becomes the force (F) multiplied by the change in time (t). We can also rewrite the change in momentum as p = m * v, where v is the velocity of the particle.

Substituting these values into the equation, we get:

∫m * dv/dt dt = ∫F dt

We can now use the chain rule to rewrite dv/dt as dv/dx * dx/dt, where x represents the position of the particle. This allows us to change the variables in the integral to x and v:

∫m * dv/dx * dx/dt dt = ∫F dt

Next, we can use the definition of acceleration (a = dv/dt) to replace dv/dt in the integral:

∫m * a * dx/dt dt = ∫F dt

Using the definition of work (W = F * x) and the assumption that the particle starts with v = 0 at t = 0, we can rewrite the right side of the equation as W = F * x = ∫F dt.

This gives us the following equation:

∫m * a * dx/dt dt = W

Integrating both sides with respect to time, we get:

∫m * a * dx = ∫W dt

We can now use the definition of acceleration (a = F/m) and the assumption that the particle starts with v = 0 at t = 0 to simplify the left side of the equation:

∫F * dx = ∫W dt

Using the

Related to How Does Integrating Modified Newton's Law Lead to the Velocity Formula V(t)?

1. What is Newton's Law of Motion?

Newton's Law of Motion is a set of three fundamental laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in constant motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. Why is it important to integrate Newton's Law in scientific research?

Integrating Newton's Law is important because it provides a foundation for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion. It is also essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, where the principles of Newton's Law are applied to solve complex problems and develop new technologies.

3. How does Newton's Law apply to everyday life?

Newton's Law can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when a car accelerates, the force of the engine pushes the car forward (according to the second law), and the car will continue to move until a force (such as friction or braking) acts upon it (according to the first law).

4. Can Newton's Law be applied to non-physical systems?

While Newton's Law was originally developed to describe the behavior of physical objects, it can also be applied to non-physical systems, such as economic or social systems. For instance, the third law can be applied to explain the impact of one person's actions on another person or group.

5. Are there any limitations to Newton's Law?

Newton's Law has been incredibly successful in explaining and predicting the behavior of objects in motion, but it does have limitations. The laws are only applicable to objects moving at relatively low speeds and do not account for the effects of relativity or quantum mechanics. Additionally, in some cases, the laws may not accurately describe the behavior of objects on a microscopic level.