How Does Helium Affect the Fundamental Frequency of an Organ Pipe?

In summary, the problem involves determining the fundamental frequency of an organ pipe filled with helium at the same temperature. The molar masses of air and helium are given, and the speed of sound will be different in helium from that of air. The formula for calculating the fundamental frequency in helium is provided, and two helpful websites are mentioned. The final answer for the fundamental frequency in helium is 854.5 Hz.
kristibella

Homework Statement

A certain organ pipe, open at both ends, produces a fundamental frequency of 291 Hz in air.

If the pipe is filled with helium at the same temperature, what fundamental frequency fHe will it produce? Take the molar mass of air to be 28.8 g/mol and the molar mass of helium to be 4.00 g/mol.

Homework Equations

fHe = v/[tex]\gamma[/tex]

[tex]\gamma[/tex] = 2 L

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no idea what to do with this problem so I have no attempt. I was completely thrown off my the molar masses because I haven't seen a problem like this before. I'm not even sure if these are the right formulas for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
kristibella said:

Homework Statement

A certain organ pipe, open at both ends, produces a fundamental frequency of 291 Hz in air.

If the pipe is filled with helium at the same temperature, what fundamental frequency fHe will it produce? Take the molar mass of air to be 28.8 g/mol and the molar mass of helium to be 4.00 g/mol.

Homework Equations

fHe = v/[tex]\gamma[/tex]

[tex]\gamma[/tex] = 2 L

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no idea what to do with this problem so I have no attempt. I was completely thrown off my the molar masses because I haven't seen a problem like this before. I'm not even sure if these are the right formulas for this problem.

The speed of sound will be different in helium from that of air.

For ideal gasses:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/sound/souspe3.html

For helium:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/souspe.html#c5

Related to How Does Helium Affect the Fundamental Frequency of an Organ Pipe?

1. What is the purpose of filling a pipe with helium?

The purpose of filling a pipe with helium is to create a low-density environment for conducting various experiments and tests that require a controlled atmosphere. Helium is a non-reactive gas that has a low boiling point, making it ideal for creating a stable and inert environment.

2. How is helium used in a pipe for scientific research?

Helium is used in a pipe for scientific research as a way to control the pressure and composition of the gas inside the pipe. This is important for experiments that involve gases or reactions that are sensitive to changes in pressure or the presence of other gases.

3. What are the advantages of using a pipe filled with helium in scientific experiments?

There are several advantages of using a pipe filled with helium in scientific experiments. Helium is a very light gas, which means it can be easily controlled and manipulated. It is also non-toxic and non-reactive, making it a safe choice for experiments. Additionally, its low boiling point allows for a wide range of temperatures to be achieved within the pipe.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a pipe filled with helium?

While helium itself is not harmful, there are some risks associated with using a pipe filled with helium for scientific experiments. The main risk is the potential for leaks, which can lead to a decrease in pressure and potentially alter the results of the experiment. It is important to carefully monitor the pressure and ensure the pipe is well-sealed to minimize this risk.

5. What types of scientific experiments can benefit from using a pipe filled with helium?

A pipe filled with helium can benefit a wide range of scientific experiments, particularly those that involve gases or reactions that are sensitive to changes in pressure or the presence of other gases. This includes experiments in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science, among others.