How Does General Relativity Affect Star Orbits Around Schwarzschild Black Holes?

In summary, the Newtonian method can be used to orbit a star around a Schwarzschild black hole. The only thing you need is the velocity and position vectors.
Philosophaie
I would like to have a Star orbiting a Schwarzschild Black Hole if the the velocity and position vectors in the galaxy are given. The only thing that comes to mind is the Newtonian method.

The velocity and position vectors of the Star are:

[tex]v = {v_x, v_y, v_z)[/tex]
[tex]r = {x, y, z)[/tex]

where (no acceleration)

[tex]x = v_x * t +x_0[/tex]
[tex]y = v_y * t +y_0[/tex]
[tex]z = v_z * t +z_0[/tex]

convert to spherical

What is the method for GR?

Note:The Schwarzschild metric produces a non zero Riemann Tensor and a Ricci Flat as you well know.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note, in GR position is not a vector.

Hi Philosophaie! :smile:
Philosophaie said:
I would like to have a Star orbiting a Schwarzschild Black Hole if

You can ignore that fact that it's a black hole, just use an ordinary star of the same mass …

outside the event horizon, the gravitation is the same. :wink:

DaleSpam said:
Note, in GR position is not a vector.

Oh yes, sorry.
GR is non-affine.
But you can have a displacement vector, right?

I am unclear how you derive the Position Vector in Spherical coordinates and how to incorporate the velocity vector into Spherical coordinates as well. Please explain.

Philosophaie said:
I am unclear how you derive the Position Vector in Spherical coordinates and how to incorporate the velocity vector into Spherical coordinates as well. Please explain.

Plug in your ##x## ##y## ##z## and you get ##r## ##\theta## ##\phi##.
What are you trying to do anyway?
Do you want to create a computer simulation or just solve it on paper?

ProfDawgstein said:
Oh yes, sorry.
GR is non-affine.
But you can have a displacement vector, right?
Only locally. I.e. Infinitesimal displacements form vectors in the local tangent space.

Philosophaie said:
There is no position vector in GR.

DaleSpam said:
Only locally. I.e. Infinitesimal displacements form vectors in the local tangent space.

How would you keep track of the objects position?
Just assign ##x, y, z## or ##r, \theta, \phi## to it?

I know.
It's mostly a problem with expressing things using normal language.

ProfDawgstein said:
How would you keep track of the objects position?
Just assign ##x, y, z## or ##r, \theta, \phi## to it?
Yes, a given point in the manifold can be uniquely identified by a list of it's coordinates. But that list is just a list, not a vector.

Related to How Does General Relativity Affect Star Orbits Around Schwarzschild Black Holes?

1. What is a velocity vector?

A velocity vector represents the direction and speed of an object's motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction, and is typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of motion.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are technically different. While speed is a scalar quantity that only measures how fast an object is moving, velocity is a vector quantity that also includes the direction of motion.

3. How do you calculate the magnitude of a velocity vector?

The magnitude of a velocity vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length of the vector (or speed) is the hypotenuse and the horizontal and vertical components of the vector are the legs of the triangle. The formula is: magnitude = √(vx^2 + vy^2), where vx is the horizontal component and vy is the vertical component of the velocity vector.

4. What is a position vector?

A position vector is a vector that represents the location of an object in space relative to an origin point. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing from the origin to the object's location, and its magnitude represents the distance between the two points.

5. How do you calculate the displacement vector from a position vector?

The displacement vector is a vector that represents the change in position of an object. It can be calculated by subtracting the initial position vector from the final position vector. This will give the direction and magnitude of the displacement vector, which can be represented by an arrow pointing from the initial position to the final position.