How Does Gauss's Law Apply to Nested Spherical Shells with Charges?

In summary, using Gauss's law, the electric field (magnitude and direction) in terms of Q and r can be found for the four given regions. The surface charge density on the inner and outer surfaces of both shells can also be determined. For regions i and iii, the electric field is zero.
stroperica

Homework Statement

A small conducting spherical Shell (#1) with inner radius a and outter radius b is concentric with a larger conducting spherical shell (#2) with inner radius C and outter radius d. The inner shell has a total charge (-3Q), and outter shell has a charge ( +5 Q).

a) Use Gauss's law to find the electric field ( magnitude and direction) in terms of Q and r for

i) r<a;
ii) a<r<b;
iii) b<r<c;
iiii) c<r<d;

b) determine the surface charge density on the inner and outer surfaces of both shells.

The Attempt at a Solution

Electric field for i and iii is zero?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
physics.jpg

Here is the figure for the exercise.
THANK YOU!

Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

stroperica said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Electric field for i and iii is zero?

Can you show your work? You are supposed to make use of Gauss's law here.

Related to How Does Gauss's Law Apply to Nested Spherical Shells with Charges?

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between the electric flux through a closed surface and the charge enclosed by that surface. It is a key concept in the study of electromagnetism and is often used to calculate the electric field in a given region.

2. How do I apply Gauss's Law to a specific exercise?

To apply Gauss's Law to a specific exercise, you will need to follow a few steps. First, identify the closed surface in the problem. Then, determine the total charge enclosed by that surface. Finally, use the formula for Gauss's Law to calculate the electric flux through the surface and solve for the electric field.

3. Can Gauss's Law be used for any type of surface?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be used for any closed surface, regardless of its shape or size. However, the surface must be closed, meaning it forms a complete boundary with no holes or openings.

4. What are the units of electric flux and charge in Gauss's Law?

The units of electric flux are N*m^2/C, while the units of charge are C (Coulombs). It is important to make sure that the units of the electric flux and charge match in order to get a correct result when using Gauss's Law.

5. How is Gauss's Law related to Coulomb's Law?

Gauss's Law is essentially a generalization of Coulomb's Law. Coulomb's Law states that the electric field created by a point charge is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge. Gauss's Law extends this concept to a closed surface, taking into account all charges enclosed by that surface.