How Does Gauss' Law Apply to the Electric Field Around a Charged Metal Ball?

In summary, using Gauss law, the electrical field as a function of distance r from the center of a metal ball with radius R = 0.6 m and charge Q = 0.15 nC is given by E(r) = Q / e0*4*pi*R^2. This equation shows that the field inside the ball is 0, while outside the ball it decreases with increasing r.
kasse

Homework Statement

A metal ball with radius R = 0,6 m is charged with Q = 0.15 nC. Find the electrical field as function of the distance r from the center of the ball.

The Attempt at a Solution

Gauss law:

Q = e0*E(r)*A = e0*E(r)*4*pi*R^2

which gives

E(r) = Q / e0*4*pi*R^2

I know that inside the ball, the field will be 0. But obviously this is not a function of r...Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're fine.

E(r) = 0 for r<R is perfectly acceptable as a function of r.

And outside the ball? I would expext the field to decrease with increasing r, not be constant...

kasse said:
And outside the ball? I would expext the field to decrease with increasing r, not be constant...
Right. You have that already done in your first post. (Just change R to r in your equation for E.)

rajxen

I guess you are correct. The field inside a conductor is zero.

kasse said:

Homework Statement

A metal ball with radius R = 0,6 m is charged with Q = 0.15 nC. Find the electrical field as function of the distance r from the center of the ball.

The Attempt at a Solution

Gauss law:

Q = e0*E(r)*A = e0*E(r)*4*pi*R^2

which gives

E(r) = Q / e0*4*pi*R^2

I know that inside the ball, the field will be 0. But obviously this is not a function of r...Am I on the right track?

Related to How Does Gauss' Law Apply to the Electric Field Around a Charged Metal Ball?

1. What is Gauss's law?

Gauss's law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the net electric charge enclosed by that surface.

2. How does Gauss's law apply to a metal ball?

Gauss's law applies to any closed surface, including a metal ball. The electric flux through the surface of the ball is directly proportional to the net charge enclosed by the ball.

3. Why is Gauss's law important in studying electric fields?

Gauss's law allows us to calculate the electric field at a point by considering the charge distribution around that point. This simplifies the calculation of electric fields in complex systems and is a powerful tool in understanding the behavior of electric fields.

4. What is the significance of a metal ball in Gauss's law?

A metal ball is a useful example in understanding Gauss's law because it has a uniform charge distribution on its surface and is a closed surface, making it easy to apply the law. It also has practical applications in electrical systems, such as in lightning rod design.

5. Can Gauss's law be applied to non-metallic objects?

Yes, Gauss's law can be applied to any closed surface, regardless of the material it is made of. It is a general principle that applies to all electric fields and charge distributions.