How Does Exponential Decay Relate to Velocity in Differential Equations?

In summary, the motion of a body is given by the equation dV(t)/dt = 0.6 - 3V(t) where V(t) is the speed (in m/s) at time t (in second). If the body was at rest at t = 0, then the equation would be dV(t)/dt = 0.
konichiwa2x
The motion of a body is given by the equation dV(t)/dt = 0.6 - 3V(t)
where V(t) is the speed (in m/s) at time t (in second). If the body was at rest at t = 0

1) What is the magnitude of the inital acceleration?
2) The speed of the body varies with time as

(A) [tex](1 - e^-^3^t) [/tex]
(B) [tex]2(1 - e^-^3^t)[/tex]
(C) [tex]\frac{2}{3}(1 - e^\frac{-3t}{2})[/tex]
(D) [tex]\frac{2}{3}(1 - e^\frac{-3t}{3})[/tex]

(B) is the correct answer for Q(2) . But how do you arrive at it? And how did they manage to get a 'e' in the answer?

Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show what you've tried.

You're dealing with a separable differential equation, do you know how to solve one?

what is a separable equation? I know basic calculus. but i have no clue on how to arrive at the answer to this question,

I googled for "separable differential equation" and found a decent looking text:
http://www.ugrad.math.ubc.ca/coursedoc/math101/notes/moreApps/separable.html

Applying the above to your problem:

[tex]\frac{dV(t)}{dt} = 0.6 - 3V(t)[/tex]

[tex]dV(t) = (0.6 - 3V(t))dt[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dV(t)}{0.6 - 3V(t)} = dt[/tex]

[tex]\int_{V_0}^{V}\frac{dV(t)}{0.6 - 3V(t)} = \int_{t_0}^t dt[/tex]

(You could also use indefinite integral, and solve for the C with the information given in the problem ie. "body was at rest at t = 0")Can you manage the rest?PS. There's something wrong with the equation or the correct answer. With the given equation you should arrive at:
[tex]0.2(1-e^{-3t})[/tex]

To get the given answer (B), the original equation should be:
[tex]\frac{dV(t)}{dt} = 6 - 3V(t)[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do not know how to solve differential equations, and presumbably aren't expected to here, sSince you are given 4 possible functions, work the other way. Plug each into the equation of motion and see which works. ([itex]\frac{dV}{dt}= 0.6- 3V[/itex] won't work with any of them- as said, it must be 6- 3V.)

As for part A, that's easy. Just evaluate [itex]\frac{dV}{dt}= 0.6- 3V[/itex] at t= 0. (Of course, you are told V(0).)

[tex]\int_{V_0}^{V}\frac{dV(t)}{0.6 - 3V(t)} = \int_{t_0}^t dt[/tex]

(You could also use indefinite integral, and solve for the C with the information given in the problem ie. "body was at rest at t = 0")

I am not very sure on how to procede from here.(I have just started learning calculus last week). Anyway should I use
[tex] \int uv =u \int v - \int \frac{(du)}{(dx)}\int v [/tex] rule?

Last edited:
konichiwa2x said:
I am not very sure on how to procede from here.(I have just started learning calculus last week).
Here's a formula that should help you:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x} = \ln |x| + C[/tex]

Related to How Does Exponential Decay Relate to Velocity in Differential Equations?

1. What is the definition of "Motion of a body"?

The motion of a body refers to the movement or change in position of an object in relation to a reference point or frame of reference.

2. What is the equation for calculating the motion of a body?

The equation for calculating the motion of a body is distance = speed x time. This equation is based on the fundamental concept of speed being the rate of change of distance over time.

3. How is velocity different from speed in the context of motion of a body?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only refers to the magnitude of an object's movement. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed does not.

4. What is the difference between uniform motion and non-uniform motion?

Uniform motion refers to the movement of an object at a constant speed and in a straight line, while non-uniform motion involves a change in speed or direction over time. In non-uniform motion, the distance covered in each unit of time is not the same.

5. How does acceleration play a role in the motion of a body?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time and is a crucial aspect of an object's motion. It determines how quickly the object's speed or direction is changing, and can be affected by external forces such as friction or gravity.