How Does Energy Increase in an RL Circuit with Time-Varying Current?

In summary, the current through an inductor increases from 3 A to 5 A in 1 second, with a voltage of 4 μV. Using the formula U = 1/2 I^2L, the increase in energy stored in the inductor between t = 0 and t = 1 s is 16 μJ. The inductance L can be found using the formula V/(dI/dt), and then the energy stored can be determined for each level of current.
syhpui2

Homework Statement

An inductor initially has 3 A of current passing through it at time t = 0. The current through the inductor increases at a constant rate until 5 A of current is flowing through it 1s later at t = 1 s. The voltage across the inductor is 4 μV while the current is increasing. What is the increase in the energy stored in the inductor between t = 0 and t = 1 s?

Answer: 16 μJ

Homework Equations

KVL, KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

I can use U=1/2 I^2L to find the energy? But how energy increased? And how can I find current over inductor?

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
syhpui2 said:
I can use U=1/2 I^2L to find the energy? But how energy increased? And how can I find current over inductor?

Thx

I suggest that you find the inductance L first. What's the defining formula for inductance (hint: it involves a derivative).

Once you have the inductance you can determine the energy stored for each level of current.

gneill said:
I suggest that you find the inductance L first. What's the defining formula for inductance (hint: it involves a derivative).

Once you have the inductance you can determine the energy stored for each level of current.

So I just use V/ (dl/dt)?

syhpui2 said:
So I just use V/ (dl/dt)?

Try it and find out!

for reaching out! I would approach this problem using the equation U=1/2 LI^2 to calculate the energy stored in the inductor. Since the current is increasing at a constant rate, we can use the average value of the current (4 A) to calculate the energy at t=1s, which would be 8 μJ. Similarly, at t=0, the energy stored in the inductor would be 4.5 μJ. Therefore, the increase in energy would be 8 μJ - 4.5 μJ = 3.5 μJ. This is because the energy stored in an inductor is directly proportional to the square of the current passing through it. I hope this helps!

Related to How Does Energy Increase in an RL Circuit with Time-Varying Current?

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and an inductor (L), which are connected in series. The inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, while the resistor dissipates energy as heat.

2. What are the energy stores in an RL circuit?

The energy stores in an RL circuit are the magnetic field in the inductor and the heat energy in the resistor. The inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field when current flows through it, and this energy is released when the current stops flowing. The resistor, on the other hand, dissipates energy as heat due to the resistance of the material.

3. How does energy transfer between the inductor and resistor in an RL circuit?

When an RL circuit is initially energized, the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. As the current continues to flow, the magnetic field expands, and the inductive energy decreases. At the same time, the resistance of the resistor causes the energy to be transferred to the resistor in the form of heat. This process continues until the current stops flowing, and the inductor has completely dissipated its stored energy.

4. What happens to the energy when the current stops flowing in an RL circuit?

When the current stops flowing in an RL circuit, the inductor has completely dissipated its stored energy in the form of a magnetic field. This magnetic field collapses, and the energy is transferred to the resistor in the form of heat. The resistor then dissipates the energy as heat until it reaches its equilibrium state.

5. How does the resistance and inductance affect the energy stores in an RL circuit?

The resistance and inductance both affect the energy stores in an RL circuit. A higher resistance in the resistor causes more energy to be dissipated as heat, while a higher inductance in the inductor allows for more energy to be stored in the magnetic field. This means that increasing the resistance will decrease the inductive energy, and vice versa.