How Does Electric Flux Change with Different Closed Surfaces Around Dipoles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gauss' Law to match fluxes of 8pikQ, 4pikQ, -8pikQ, -4pikQ, and 0 to multiple closed surfaces surrounding two dipoles with Q and -Q charges separated by a distance d. The use of electric fields and their direction in relation to the charges is also mentioned.
upthedown
I have a figure showing two dipoles each having a Q and -Q charge with distance d separating the positive and negative of each dipole. The dipoles are then surrounded by multiple closed surfaces. I need to match fluxes of 8pikQ, 4pikQ, -8pikQ, - 4pikQ and 0 to these surfaces.

Gauss' Law states that flux=Eda=4(pi)kq for any closed surface

Since I have dipoles, my electric fields will be pulled toward the negative charge. THerefore, surfaces with negative charges in them should have a negative flux b/c the field points to the interior of the closed surface while my surfaces encompassing positive charges should have positive flux b/c the field points to the exterior of the surface. So, since each surface has a flux of 4pikq wouldn't the flux just keep adding up as the vector went through each additional surface?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you post the figure?

for your question! You are correct in your understanding that the electric flux would add up as it passes through each additional surface. However, it is important to note that the flux through a closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of the medium (in this case, the vacuum). In other words, the total flux through a closed surface is directly proportional to the total charge enclosed by that surface.

In the given scenario, we have two dipoles with equal and opposite charges, so the net charge enclosed by each closed surface will be 0. This means that the flux through each surface will also be 0.

To match the given flux values of 8pikQ, 4pikQ, -8pikQ, -4pikQ, and 0, we would need to have additional charges placed within the closed surfaces. For example, to have a flux of 4pikQ, we could add a positive charge of Q at the center of one of the dipoles. This would create a net charge of Q enclosed by the closed surface, resulting in a flux of 4pikQ. Similarly, to have a flux of -8pikQ, we could add a negative charge of 2Q at the center of one of the dipoles.

In summary, the flux through a closed surface is determined by the net charge enclosed by that surface. In the case of dipoles, the net charge is 0, so additional charges would need to be added to match the given flux values. I hope this helps clarify the concept of electric flux and dipoles.

Related to How Does Electric Flux Change with Different Closed Surfaces Around Dipoles?

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is the measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volt meters squared (V•m²).

2. How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the surface area vector.

3. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges that are separated by a small distance. This creates a dipole moment, which is a vector that represents the strength and direction of the dipole.

4. How does a dipole affect electric flux?

A dipole can cause a non-uniform distribution of electric field, which can affect the amount of electric flux passing through a given area. The direction and strength of the dipole moment will also impact the electric flux.

5. What is the relationship between electric flux and dipoles?

The presence of a dipole can change the amount of electric flux passing through a given area. The electric flux is directly proportional to the strength of the dipole moment and is inversely proportional to the distance from the dipole. In other words, the closer the dipole is to the surface, the stronger the electric flux will be.