How Does Current Divide in a Circuit with Multiple Resistors and Batteries?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of Kirchhoff's Rules to find the magnitude of the current in each resistor. The individual is struggling to understand the concept and has attempted to use imaginary points and double resistance but has not been successful. They are seeking a hint and it is suggested to use Kirchhoff's laws and consider the currents flowing from each battery.
henryg09
25-p-085-alt.gif

Find the magnitude of the current in each resistor.
R1 = 2.40 Ω, R2 = 4.45 Ω, and R3 = 6.10 Ω.

I keep on attempting to use Kirchoff's Rules but it isn't working out. It doesn't click in my head if the current is flowing from the left battery, does the current still split? Is R3 double resistance in order to bring the current down to I?

Assuming there was another imaginary point right after the left terminal but before R2 and another point at a, I used the equation Va-Vb=(emf)-IR but since I don't know the Potential loss nor the current, I can't solve for either. Also placed more imaginary points mirrored to the right battery and set the Vb from both equations equal to each other but only thing I have left is 0=24V-4.45I1-6.85I2.. Grrr... Anyone give me a hint please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget those imaginary points and double resistance. This problem is not at all complicated if you use Kirchhoff' laws.

Let be the current flowing out from the left battery I2 and the current flowing out from the right battery be I1. You have a third current I3 which flows from a to b through R3. How is I3 related to I1 and I2?

ehild

Related to How Does Current Divide in a Circuit with Multiple Resistors and Batteries?

What is a circuit?

A circuit is a path that allows electricity to flow from a power source, through a load (such as a light bulb), and back to the power source.

What is the purpose of having two batteries in a circuit?

The purpose of having two batteries in a circuit is to increase the voltage and/or current available to power the load. This is known as a series circuit, where the batteries are connected end-to-end to create a larger power supply.

How do I connect two batteries in a circuit?

To connect two batteries in a circuit, you will need to connect the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the other battery. The remaining positive and negative terminals will then be connected to the load.

Can I use two different types of batteries in a circuit?

It is not recommended to use two different types of batteries in a circuit, as they may have different voltages and chemistries which can lead to uneven power distribution and potential damage to the batteries and/or load. It is best to use two batteries of the same type and brand.

What happens if one battery in the circuit dies or is removed?

If one battery in the circuit dies or is removed, the circuit will be broken and electricity will no longer flow to the load. The remaining battery may still provide some power, but it will not be as strong as when both batteries were connected.