How Does Covariant Differentiation Affect Tensor Fields?

In summary: Yes, you can use the same method to prove linearity in ##\lambda##.For part b), your answer seems fine to me. It follows from the definition of the covariant derivative and the properties of the connection, so I would say it is a result rather than a definition.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let ##T## be a ##(1, 1)## tensor field, ##\lambda## a covector field and ##X, Y## vector fields. We may define ##\nabla_X T## by requiring the ‘inner’ Leibniz rule, $$\nabla_X[T(\lambda, Y )] = (\nabla_XT)(\lambda, Y ) + T(\nabla_X \lambda, Y ) + T(\lambda, \nabla_X Y ) . $$

(a) Prove that ##\nabla_XT## defines a ##(1, 1)## tensor field.
(b) Prove that the components of the ##(1, 2)## tensor ##\nabla T## are, $$\nabla_cT^{a}_{\,\,\,b} = e_c(T^{a}_{b}) + \Gamma^{a}_{\,\,dc}T^{d}_{b} − \Gamma^{d}_{ bc}T^{a}_{d}$$
(c) Deduce that the Kronecker delta tensor is covariantly constant ##\nabla \delta = 0.##

Homework Equations

[/B]
Tensor fields and linearity

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Really just need to check what I am going to do is correct. For a), ##\nabla_X T## defines a (1,1) tensor if it is linear in the arguments ##X## and ##Y##? Linear in ##X## by definition of a connection and for ##Y##;

$$\nabla_X (T (\lambda, fY)) = (\nabla_X T)(\lambda fY) + T(\nabla_X \lambda, fY) + T(\lambda, \nabla_X (fY)) $$ which can be written using the axioms of a connection $$ f(\nabla_X T)(\lambda, Y) + fT(\nabla_X \lambda, Y) + fT(\lambda, f \nabla_X Y) + T(\lambda, X(f)Y)$$ It doesn't seem to be linear in Y at all?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##T## be a ##(1, 1)## tensor field, ##\lambda## a covector field and ##X, Y## vector fields. We may define ##\nabla_X T## by requiring the ‘inner’ Leibniz rule, $$\nabla_X[T(\lambda, Y )] = (\nabla_XT)(\lambda, Y ) + T(\nabla_X \lambda, Y ) + T(\lambda, \nabla_X Y ) . $$

(a) Prove that ##\nabla_XT## defines a ##(1, 1)## tensor field.
(b) Prove that the components of the ##(1, 2)## tensor ##\nabla T## are, $$\nabla_cT^{a}_{\,\,\,b} = e_c(T^{a}_{b}) + \Gamma^{a}_{\,\,dc}T^{d}_{b} − \Gamma^{d}_{ bc}T^{a}_{d}$$
(c) Deduce that the Kronecker delta tensor is covariantly constant ##\nabla \delta = 0.##

Homework Equations

[/B]
Tensor fields and linearity

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Really just need to check what I am going to do is correct. For a), ##\nabla_X T## defines a (1,1) tensor if it is linear in the arguments ##X## and ##Y##? Linear in ##X## by definition of a connection and for ##Y##;

$$\nabla_X (T (\lambda, fY)) = (\nabla_X T)(\lambda fY) + T(\nabla_X \lambda, fY) + T(\lambda, \nabla_X (fY)) $$ which can be written using the axioms of a connection $$ f(\nabla_X T)(\lambda, Y) + fT(\nabla_X \lambda, Y) + fT(\lambda, f \nabla_X Y) + T(\lambda, X(f)Y)$$ It doesn't seem to be linear in Y at all?

Thanks!

Well, you started with the equation:

[itex]\nabla_X (T(\lambda, Y)) = (\nabla_X T)(\lambda, Y) + T(\nabla_X \lambda, Y) + T(\lambda, \nabla_X Y)[/itex]

You can rewrite this to get:

[itex](\nabla_X T)(\lambda, Y) = \nabla_X (T(\lambda, Y)) - T(\nabla_X \lambda, Y) - T(\lambda, \nabla_X Y)[/itex]

So it's the combination of all three terms on the right-hand side that must be linear in [itex]\lambda[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex]. The individual terms don't have to be linear. To prove it's linear in [itex]Y[/itex], replace [itex]Y[/itex] by [itex]f Y[/itex]:

[itex](\nabla_X T)(\lambda, f Y) = \nabla_X (T(\lambda, f Y)) - T(\nabla_X \lambda, f Y) - T(\lambda, \nabla_X (f Y))[/itex]

Then you have to prove that the right-hand side is equal to [itex]f (\nabla_X (T(\lambda, Y)) - T(\nabla_X \lambda, Y) - T(\lambda, \nabla_X Y))[/itex]

To prove this, you have to use the linearity of [itex]T[/itex] and the Leibniz rule to rewrite the right-hand side so that hopefully you can get [itex]f[/itex] on the outside. What that means is that derivatives of [itex]f[/itex] have to cancel.

stevendaryl said:
To prove this, you have to use the linearity of [itex]T[/itex] and the Leibniz rule to rewrite the right-hand side so that hopefully you can get [itex]f[/itex] on the outside. What that means is that derivatives of [itex]f[/itex] have to cancel.
Thanks! Ok so I proved the linearity in ##Y##, can I use the same method to find the linearity in ##\lambda##? So let ##\lambda \rightarrow f \lambda##?

For part b), I am not sure how much detail is required for an answer. The definition I have in my notes is that 'Given an ##(r,s)## tensor field ##T##, the covariant derivative ##\nabla T## is an ##(r,s+1)## tensor with components $$\nabla_c T^{a_1 ... a_r}_{\,\,\,\,\,\,b_1 ...b_s} = e_c T^{a_1...a_r}_{\,\,\,\,b_1...b_s} + \Gamma^{a_1}_{dc} T^{d...a_r}_{\,\,\,\,b_1...b_s} + ... + \Gamma^{a_r}_{dc}T^{a_1 ...d}_{\,\,\,\,b_1 ... b_s} - \Gamma^d_{b_1 c} T^{a_1...a_r}_{\,\,\,\,d...b_s} - ... - \Gamma^{d}_{b_s c} T^{a_1...a_r}_{\,\,\,\,\,b_1...d}$$ So applying this gives the result immediately, as far as I can see we are evaluating all the possible contractions of the covariant and contravariant components of the tensor. Do you think this is fine? And is this result a definition or does it follow from something? Thanks!

Related to How Does Covariant Differentiation Affect Tensor Fields?

1. What are tensor fields and why are they important in science?

Tensor fields are mathematical objects that describe the variation of a quantity in space and time. They are important in science because they allow us to model and analyze physical phenomena, such as the flow of fluids, the deformation of materials, and the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

2. How do connections relate to tensor fields?

Connections are mathematical structures that describe how the values of a tensor field change as we move around in space or time. They are used to define how the values of a tensor field are connected between different points in space, and how they change as we move along different paths.

3. What are the practical applications of connections and tensor fields?

Connections and tensor fields have many practical applications in science, engineering, and other fields. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and machine learning to model and analyze physical systems and phenomena. For example, they are used in aerodynamics to analyze air flow around objects, in computer graphics to simulate the behavior of materials, and in machine learning to analyze patterns in data.

4. Can you give an example of a real-world application of connections and tensor fields?

One example of a real-world application of connections and tensor fields is in the field of meteorology. Meteorologists use connections and tensor fields to model and analyze weather patterns, such as wind flow and temperature variations, to make predictions and forecasts.

5. How do connections and tensor fields relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

In Einstein's theory of general relativity, tensor fields are used to describe the curvature of spacetime, and connections are used to describe how that curvature changes in the presence of matter and energy. These concepts are fundamental to understanding gravity and the behavior of objects in the universe, and they have been crucial in advancing our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.