How Does Closure in a Neighborhood Imply Membership in a Set?

• I
  • Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: Don't worry, I am not seeing it that clearly myself.In summary, it seems that the proof is using the fact that a closed set contains all of its limit points. This implies that x is a limit point of G.
PsychonautQQ
So I'm trying to understand a small part in the proof about how every 1-manifold is triangulable.

Let G be contained in K and let x be a limit point of G. Let U be a neighborhood of K that intersects G in finitely many closed neighborhoods, thus U intersect G is closed in G and thus x is in G.

Not undestanding:
U intersect G is closed in G implies x is in G

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
So I'm trying to understand a small part in the proof about how every 1-manifold is triangulable.

Let G be contained in K and let x be a limit point of G. Let U be a neighborhood of K that intersects G in finitely many closed neighborhoods, thus U intersect G is closed in G and thus x is in G.

Not undestanding:
It seems they are just using that a closed set contains all of its limit points. Assume otherwise. Then x is not in G, but it is a limit point. Notice that the complement of G is open ( in ambient space). Since x is a limit point of G , every 'hood ##V_x## of ##x## intersects the complement of G, which cannot happen, as the complement of G is open. Alternatively, if G is closed , so that its complement ## G^c## is open , and ## x \in G^c ## then there is a hood ##W_x## of ##x## contained entirely in ##W_x##. But this contradicts that ##x## is a limit point of ##G##.

Likes PsychonautQQ
does the intersection of the closure of U and G equal the intersection of the closure of G and the closure of U?

PsychonautQQ said:
does the intersection of the closure of U and G equal the intersection of the closure of G and the closure of U?
Not in every topological space. Let me see if it may apply on manifolds.

Likes PsychonautQQ
WWGD said:
It seems they are just using that a closed set contains all of its limit points.

So since x is a limit point of U and of G it must be a limit point of their intersection? Is this really obvious?

PsychonautQQ said:

Not undestanding:
Sorry for delay in replying. I think we are also using the fact that union of finitely many closed is closed: In subspace topology, each ## K \cap G_i ; i=1,2,..,n ## (Each ##G_i ## is one of the closed neighborhoods of intersection) is closed. Then we use that finite union of closed is closed.

Likes PsychonautQQ
WWGD said:
Sorry for delay in replying. I think we are also using the fact that union of finitely many closed is closed: In subspace topology, each ## K \cap G_i ; i=1,2,..,n ## (Each ##G_i ## is one of the closed neighborhoods of intersection) is closed. Then we use that finite union of closed is closed.

I must be really dense right now, but again, in the smallest words you can muster, why does this imply that x is in G?

Don't worry, I am not seeing it that clearly myself. Is U supposed to contain G ? If so, G is the intersection of finitely-many closed sets and therefore closed, implying it contains all its limit points, in particular it contains x. Otherwise, not clear.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Nope, U is not supposed to contain G. x a limit point of G, and U is a neighborhood of x, so by the definition of limit point we know that intersection(U,G) is not empty. We also know that this intersection is closed in U. Apparently this is supposed to imply that x is in G.

PsychonautQQ said:
Nope, U is not supposed to contain G. x a limit point of G, and U is a neighborhood of x, so by the definition of limit point we know that intersection(U,G) is not empty. We also know that this intersection is closed in U. Apparently this is supposed to imply that x is in G.
So U is ( U are? ;) ) a 'hood of both K and of x ? EDIT: If U is a 'hood of x , then the result is automatic.

Last edited:
Likes PsychonautQQ
Well, U is a hood of x and this neighborhood is contained in K.

I think the main points are:
U is a neighborhood of x
Intersection(G,U) is closed in U
x is a limit point of G

How do these things imply that x is in G?

Well, ## U \cap G ## is closed and contained in G
PsychonautQQ said:
Well, U is a hood of x and this neighborhood is contained in K.

I think the main points are:
U is a neighborhood of x
Intersection(G,U) is closed in U
x is a limit point of G

How do these things imply that x is in G?
Sorry, obviously I can't just grok it. Please give me some time, I will look at it more carefully.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Lol no pressure dude you don't even have to help me if you don't want :P but thanks u r the best.

Related to How Does Closure in a Neighborhood Imply Membership in a Set?

1. How do I know the proof is correct?

In order to determine the validity of a proof, you can check for logical consistency and completeness. This means ensuring that all the statements made in the proof are logically connected and that all necessary steps are included.

2. What should I do if I don't understand a step in the proof?

If you are having trouble understanding a particular step in a proof, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable pieces. You can also consult other resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, for further explanation.

3. How can I improve my understanding of proofs?

To improve your understanding of proofs, it is important to practice and familiarize yourself with different proof techniques and strategies. You can also seek guidance from a mentor or professor and actively engage in discussions with others about proofs.

4. Can a proof be written in different ways?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to approach a proof and present it. As long as the proof is logically sound and complete, different formats and styles can be used.

5. What should I do if I find a mistake in a proof?

If you find a mistake in a proof, it is important to carefully examine and understand where the error occurred. You can then try to correct the mistake or seek guidance from others. It is also important to communicate any mistakes or corrections to the author of the proof so that it can be corrected for future reference.