How Does Changing Wavelength Affect Fringe Spacing in a Double-Slit Experiment?

In summary, a double-slit experiment with light of wavelength 600 nm has bright interference fringes spaced 1.8 mm apart on the viewing screen. When the light is changed to a wavelength of 400 nm, the fringe spacing can be calculated using the fringe spacing equation delta y = wavelength x L / d. After solving for the original fringe spacing, the calculation is repeated for the new wavelength, giving a fringe spacing of 1.2 mm. The only unknown variable in the equation is L, for which a value of 1 can be assumed since it remains the same in both situations.
frederickcan

Homework Statement

A double-slit experiment is performed with light of wavelength 600 nm. The bright interference fringes are spaced 1.8 mm apart on the viewing screen. What will the fringe spacing be if the light is changed to a wavelength of 400 nm?

Homework Equations

Fringe spacing equation
delta y = wavelength x L / d

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve the fringe spacing for the wavelength of 600 nm by:

600 x 10^-9 m / .0018 m = 3.33E-4

then

plugged in the 3.33E-4 to solve what the spacing would be for 400 nm by:

dividing 400 x 10^-9 m / 3.33E-4 = 1200000

I think I'm interpreting the fringe spacing equation wrong, and I'm not sure where.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your math; your equations are right, but you made a trivial calculation error.

The only thing is I'm confused about L. The question didn't provide a value for L, and I have two unknowns (L, and the fringe spacing) so I feel like I'm using the wrong equation. However, because I couldn't find a better equation I set L to 1.

(Also, thank you for your help.)

In the problem L and d remain the same. So you can write equation for two wavelengths.
λ1 = x1*L/d...(1)
λ2 = x2*L/d...(2) From the first equation find L/d.
Substitute this value in the second equation.

Related to How Does Changing Wavelength Affect Fringe Spacing in a Double-Slit Experiment?

1. What is the interference of light?

The interference of light is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more light waves overlap and interact with each other. This can result in either constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other and create a brighter light, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out and create dark spots.

2. How does interference of light occur?

Interference of light occurs when light waves from different sources or from the same source but with different path lengths meet and interact. This interaction can cause the waves to either amplify or cancel each other out, resulting in a pattern of light and dark spots.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference is when two light waves combine to produce a larger amplitude, resulting in a brighter light. Destructive interference is when two light waves combine to produce a smaller or zero amplitude, resulting in a darker spot or complete cancellation of light.

4. What are some real-life applications of the interference of light?

The interference of light has many practical applications, including in technology such as anti-reflective coatings for glasses and camera lenses, in the creation of holograms, and in interferometers used for precision measurements. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of light in certain natural phenomena, such as the colorful patterns in soap bubbles and the iridescent colors of certain animals.

5. How is the interference of light studied and measured?

The interference of light can be studied and measured using various techniques, such as Young's double-slit experiment, which involves passing light through two narrow slits and observing the interference pattern produced on a screen. Other methods include using Michelson interferometers or diffraction gratings to study interference patterns. Advanced techniques such as laser interferometry are used for precise measurements in industries such as astronomy and engineering.