How Does Changing the Work Function Affect Photoelectron Emission?

In summary: I think that 9.71e-5 Hz should be 9.71e14 Hz. If you fix the frequency you'll get the right perterbation for the photo-electrons and then the right stopping potential. Your stopping potential was calculated as if the light was so long (low frequency) that the photoelectrons couldn't be stopped.In summary, the given problem involves a metal surface with a work function of 3eV and a monochromatic ultraviolet light of frequency 9.71*10^14 Hz. The maximum speed of the ejected photo electrons is 0.6*10^6m/s. By using the formula for kinetic energy, the wavelength of the incident photons
meltem
Modern Physics, homework, please help:(

A metal surface with a work function of (W1=3eV) is illuminated with a monochromatic ultraviolet light of frequency v*1. The maximum speed of the ejected photo electrons was found to be v1=0.6x10^6m/s.

a) compute the wavelength λ of the incident photons.
b) what is the stopping potential?
c) now the metal is in the photo tube is changed so the work function is W2=5.5eV. Everything else remains the same. Compute the maxiumum speed of the ejected photo electrons and discuss.
d) How would the magnitude of the photo current be changed if the intensity of the incident light were increased? Increases, decreases or does not change? ( answer these question for parts (a) and (c)).

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to post your attempt. What would your relevant equations be?

rock.freak667 said:
You need to post your attempt. What would your relevant equations be?

sorry, i didnt know this rule.. actually i knew formulas but i don't know where i should use them. Also this question is from my exam. I couldn't do it there:s

a ) A metal surface with work function φ = 3.0 eV
maximum speed ejected from photo electrons is v_1 = 0.6 *10^6 m/s

K.E _max = h f - φ
1/2 mv^2 = hf - φ
1/2 * 9.1 *10^-31 kg ( 0.6 *10^6 m/s)^2 = 6.625*10^-34 J.s * f - 3.0 * 1.6 *10^-19 J /eV
f = 9.71*10^-5 Hz
wavelength λ = c
= 3 *10^8 m/s / 9.71*10^-5 Hz
= 3.08*10^12 m

b ) stopping potential is K.E = q ΔV
1/2 * 9.1 *10^-31 kg ( 0.6 *10^6 m/s)^2 = 1.6 *10^-19 C * ΔV
ΔV = 1.02V

c) same formula with a
d) i don't know:s

am I right?

Last edited:

You might want to revisit your frequency calculation. The method and numbers used look okay, but your result seems to be out of whack; your value implies a period for the wave of nearly three hours!

For photoelectric emission on metals you'd expect the light to be in the hundreds of terahertz range.

a) To compute the wavelength λ of the incident photons, we can use the equation E = hv, where E is the energy of the photon, h is Planck's constant (6.626x10^-34 J*s), and v is the frequency of the light. We know that the energy of the photon must be equal to the work function of the metal (W1 = 3eV) plus the kinetic energy of the ejected photoelectrons (K.E. = 1/2 mv^2). So we can set up the equation 3eV + 1/2 mv^2 = hv. We also know that the maximum speed of the ejected photoelectrons is v1 = 0.6x10^6m/s. Rearranging the equation, we get v = √(2(hv1-W1)/m). Plugging in the values, we get v = 3.08x10^15 Hz. To convert this to wavelength, we can use the equation c = λv, where c is the speed of light (3x10^8 m/s). Solving for λ, we get a wavelength of 9.74x10^-8 m or 97.4 nm.

b) The stopping potential is the minimum potential difference needed to stop the ejected photoelectrons. We can calculate this by using the equation K.E. = eV, where e is the charge of an electron (1.6x10^-19 C) and V is the stopping potential. Plugging in the values, we get V = K.E./e = (1/2)(m)(v1^2)/e = 1.8 V.

c) With the new work function of W2 = 5.5eV, the maximum speed of the ejected photoelectrons can be calculated using the same equation as in part (a). However, this time we need to use the new work function and the new maximum speed of the ejected photoelectrons (v2). So the equation becomes 5.5eV + 1/2 mv2^2 = hv. Rearranging, we get v2 = √(2(hv2-W2)/m). Plugging in the values, we get v2 = 2.45x10^15 Hz. Converting to wavelength using the equation from part (a), we get a wavelength of

Related to How Does Changing the Work Function Affect Photoelectron Emission?

What is Modern Physics?

Modern Physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level, including subatomic particles and the fundamental forces of nature.

What are some key concepts in Modern Physics?

Some key concepts in Modern Physics include relativity, quantum mechanics, and particle physics. These theories have helped to explain the behavior of matter and energy at a fundamental level.

What is the importance of Modern Physics in our daily lives?

Modern Physics has led to numerous technological advancements that have greatly impacted our daily lives. For example, it has led to the development of computers, lasers, and medical imaging technologies.

What are some common applications of Modern Physics?

Some common applications of Modern Physics include nuclear energy, semiconductor technology, and telecommunications. These technologies rely on our understanding of the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level.

How can I improve my understanding of Modern Physics for homework?

To improve your understanding of Modern Physics for homework, it is important to review the fundamental concepts and theories, practice problem-solving, and seek help from your instructor or peers if needed. It can also be helpful to read about real-world applications of Modern Physics to see how it is used in practical situations.