How does atmospheric dissipation affect UV light measurements?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a formula or information on the optical power dissipation of ultraviolet light in the atmosphere. The person is specifically interested in how much of the original power from a UV LED would reach a detector when measured 100 meters away. They are looking for a formula or link that can provide this information. One suggestion is to check out the Beer-Lambert law.
ykaravas
I am looking around for some sort of equation regarding optical power dissipation of light (ultraviolet light in particular) in the atmosphere but i cannot find anything. I know that UV light obeys Rayleigh scattering but I don't know much else. I'm trying to figure out for example, if I shined a UV LED of 280nm wavelength and power output of 1 mW and tried to measure it 100 meters away, how much power of the original 1 mW would reach the detector. In essence, how much of the UV light is "lost" due to atmospheric dissipation.

Can anyone refer me to a formula or a link which has this information?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to How does atmospheric dissipation affect UV light measurements?

1. What is optical power dissipation?

Optical power dissipation is the amount of power that is lost or emitted as heat when light passes through a medium or material.

2. How is optical power dissipation measured?

Optical power dissipation is typically measured in units of watts (W) or milliwatts (mW) using specialized equipment such as power meters or spectrometers.

3. What factors can affect optical power dissipation?

Several factors can affect optical power dissipation, including the intensity and wavelength of the light, the type of material the light is passing through, and the temperature and composition of the medium.

4. Why is optical power dissipation important in scientific research?

Optical power dissipation is an important consideration in scientific research as it can impact the accuracy and precision of experimental results. It can also affect the performance and longevity of optical devices and equipment.

5. How can optical power dissipation be minimized?

Optical power dissipation can be minimized by using materials that have high transmittance, meaning they allow more light to pass through without being absorbed or scattered. Additionally, using lower intensity light and optimizing the design of optical components can also help reduce power dissipation.