How Does an Electron Impact the Walls of an Infinite Potential Well?

In summary, an infinite potential well is a theoretical model that represents a particle trapped within a finite space and experiencing an infinitely high potential energy barrier at the boundaries. This model is significant because it simplifies the study of quantum mechanical systems and serves as a building block for more complex systems. The width of the well affects the energy levels of the particle, with narrower widths resulting in more tightly spaced energy levels. A particle in an infinite potential well cannot have a negative energy level due to the laws of quantum mechanics. The wave function within the well is a combination of standing waves with nodes at the boundaries, and as the energy level increases, the number of nodes in the wave function also increases.
laxatives

Homework Statement

An electron is confined to an infinite potential well of width L. Find the force it exerts on the walls of the well in the lowest energy state:
a) Estimate the force using uncertainty principle
b) Calculate the force exactly for the ground-state wavefunction

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = L
[tex]\Delta[/tex]x * [tex]\Delta[/tex]p [tex]\geq[/tex] [tex]\frac{hbar}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta[/tex]E * [tex]\Delta[/tex]t = [tex]\frac{hbar}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the uncertainty principle to solve for [tex]\Delta[/tex]p and [tex]\Delta[/tex]t and divided to get F=dp/dt = (mc^2)/L. I'm not sure if this is correct. I actually didn't really have much of a start until I started typing this up just now.

For part b: I'm not sure what the ground-state wavefunction is. Does this mean k = 1?
I have Schrodinger's equation for 1D, the Hamiltonian, and Hermite polynomials, but don't really know where to begin to relate it all back to force.Another question:

Homework Statement

Normalize the wavefunction u(x) proportional to sin(pi*x/L) + sin(2pi*x/L) for a particle of mass m bound in an infinitely deep one-dimensional potential well extending from x = 0 to x = L.

Homework Equations

1 = A^2 Integral u(x)^2 dx

So I want to solve for A by integrating the u(x)^2 dx from 0 to L since the probability of finding the particle outside of the well is zero. I found a solution online that states A = (2/L)^(1/2) but I keep calculating the integral to be L resulting in A = (1/L)^(1/2). What am I missing?

Last edited:
Likes Niraj Shah
Physics news on Phys.org
laxatives said:

Homework Statement

An electron is confined to an infinite potential well of width L. Find the force it exerts on the walls of the well in the lowest energy state:
a) Estimate the force using uncertainty principle
b) Calculate the force exactly for the ground-state wavefunction

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = L
[tex]\Delta[/tex]x * [tex]\Delta[/tex]p [tex]\geq[/tex] [tex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta[/tex]E * [tex]\Delta[/tex]t = [tex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]

I used the uncertainty principle to solve for [tex]\Delta[/tex]p and [tex]\Delta[/tex]t and divided to get F=dp/dt = (mc^2)/L. I'm not sure if this is correct. I actually didn't really have much of a start until I started typing this up just now.
The uncertainty principle relating energy and time doesn't apply here. You want to estimate the time from the width of the well and the momentum of the electron.
For part b: I'm not sure what the ground-state wavefunction is. Does this mean k = 1?
I have Schrodinger's equation for 1D, the Hamiltonian, and Hermite polynomials, but don't really know where to begin to relate it all back to force.
The ground state is the lowest-energy state. I'm not sure what conventions you're using, but usually, the ground state corresponds to n=1; k is typically the spatial frequency 2π/λ.

The Hermite polynomials have nothing to do with this problem. They appear in the solutions for the quantum mechanical simple harmonic oscillator.

From the wording of the question, I'm not sure what they had in mind. I would calculate the force by considering what happens to the energy if the width of the well were increased by an infinitesimal amount.
Another question:

Homework Statement

Normalize the wavefunction u(x) proportional to sin(pi*x/L) + sin(2pi*x/L) for a particle of mass m bound in an infinitely deep one-dimensional potential well extending from x = 0 to x = L.

Homework Equations

1 = A^2 Integral u(x)^2 dx

So I want to solve for A by integrating the u(x)^2 dx from 0 to L since the probability of finding the particle outside of the well is zero. I found a solution online that states A = (2/L)^(1/2) but I keep calculating the integral to be L resulting in A = (1/L)^(1/2). What am I missing?
Your answer is correct. The factor sqrt(2/L) is for a single eigenstate. You have a superposition of two eigenstates, so the factor is reduced by 1/sqrt(2).

Related to How Does an Electron Impact the Walls of an Infinite Potential Well?

1. What is an infinite potential well?

An infinite potential well is a theoretical model in quantum mechanics that represents a particle trapped within a finite space and experiencing an infinitely high potential energy barrier at the boundaries of that space.

2. What is the significance of an infinite potential well?

The infinite potential well model is significant because it provides a simplified way to understand and study quantum mechanical systems. It also serves as a building block for more complex systems and can help scientists better understand phenomena such as energy levels and wave functions.

3. How does the width of an infinite potential well affect a particle's energy levels?

The width of an infinite potential well has a direct impact on the energy levels of a particle. As the width decreases, the energy levels become more tightly spaced. Conversely, as the width increases, the energy levels become more widely spaced.

4. Can a particle in an infinite potential well have a negative energy level?

No, a particle in an infinite potential well cannot have a negative energy level. This is because the potential energy in the well is defined as zero, and the kinetic energy of a particle cannot be negative according to the laws of quantum mechanics.

5. How does the wave function change within an infinite potential well?

The wave function within an infinite potential well is a combination of standing waves, with nodes at the boundaries of the well. As the energy level increases, the number of nodes in the wave function also increases, resulting in a more complex standing wave pattern.