How Does an Alpha Particle Remain Undeflected in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the electric field between two oppositely charged parallel plates can be determined by using the equation E = vB, where v is the velocity of the particle and B is the magnetic field. The velocity can be calculated using the equation v = \sqrt{\frac{2Vq}{m}}, where V is the voltage, q is the charge of the particle, and m is its mass. The change in kinetic energy can also be considered to find the particle's final speed before entering the second region.
endeavor
"An alpha particle is accelerated in the +x direction through a voltage of 1000V. The particle then moves in an undeflected path between two oppositely charged parallel plates in a uniform magnetic field of 50 mT in the +y direction. (a) If the plates are parallel to the xy plane, what is the magnitude of the electric field between them?"

Since the particle's path is undeflected, the electric force and the magnetic force on the particle must be equal in magnitude. So
Ee = qE = Fm = qvB
E = vB

However, I don't have v, the velocity. How do I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
endeavor said:
However, I don't have v, the velocity.
But you do have the voltage. Make use of it.

I know that V = Ed, but then I don't have d...

I'm still not sure what to do.

HINT: Voltage can be defined as work done per unit charge, thus;

[tex]V = \frac{W}{Q}[/tex]

Think kinetic energy :wink:

[tex]W = Vq = K = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
[tex] v = \sqrt{\frac{2Vq}{m}} [/tex]
[tex] E = vB = 1.6 \times 10^4 V/m[/tex]
...that seems correct, but doesn't [tex]W = \Delta K[/tex]? If it does, isn't the change in kinetic energy zero, because there's only 2 forces working on the particle, and both of the forces are not acting in the direction of the particle's displacement...?

Once the particle gets up to speed and enters the region of crossed magnetic & electric fields, then its KE remains constant. But so what? (The purpose of considering the change in KE is to find the particle's final speed before it enters that second region.)

ah ic. thanks

Related to How Does an Alpha Particle Remain Undeflected in a Magnetic Field?

1. What is an alpha particle?

An alpha particle is a type of nuclear radiation that is composed of two protons and two neutrons, which is the same as the nucleus of a helium atom. It is positively charged and has a relatively large mass compared to other forms of radiation.

2. How does alpha particle magnetism work?

Alpha particles have a spin, or intrinsic angular momentum, which creates a magnetic dipole moment. When these particles interact with a magnetic field, they experience a torque and can align their spins either parallel or antiparallel to the field, resulting in magnetization.

3. Can alpha particles be controlled or manipulated for practical use?

Yes, researchers have been able to manipulate the magnetic properties of alpha particles by using external magnetic fields. This has potential applications in areas such as data storage, sensors, and medical imaging.

4. What are the risks associated with alpha particle magnetism?

Alpha particles are highly energetic and can cause damage to living cells, which is why they are considered a form of ionizing radiation. However, the risk of exposure is low in most cases, and proper safety measures can be taken when working with alpha particles.

5. How is alpha particle magnetism different from other types of magnetism?

Alpha particle magnetism is a type of nuclear magnetism, which is distinct from other forms of magnetism such as ferromagnetism or paramagnetism. It is based on the spin and charge of the alpha particle, rather than the alignment of electrons in an atom.