How Does Air Resistance Affect a Bullet's Terminal Velocity?

In summary, the problem is trying to find the expression for the terminal velocity of a bullet fired vertically upward from the ground, taking into account Prandtl's air resistance formula and assuming constant drag coefficient and air density. The equation of motion is set up as F=-mg-(1/2)cpAv^2, but when trying to solve for v, there are imaginary answers due to a negative in the square root. The issue may lie in setting up the equation incorrectly or neglecting the fact that dv/dt is never zero while the bullet is moving up.
oswaler
[SOLVED] Air resistance

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass m, diameter d, and muzzle velocity v0 is fired vertically upward from the ground. Assume that the drag can be expressed with Prandtl's air resistance forumla and that the drag coefficient, c, and air density, p, are constant. Find the expression for the terminal velocity.

Homework Equations

Prandtl's equation for drag: W=(1/2)cpAv^2

c is drag cofficient
p is air density
A is cross-section area of the bullet
v is velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

So it seems there are 2 forces acting on the bullet, gravity and drag. I tried to set up the equation of motion as
F=-mg-W
so F=-mg-(1/2)cpAv^2
so m(dv/dt)=-mg-(1/2)cpAv^2

after separation I have
dt=mdv/(-mg-(1/2)cpAv^2)

when I integrate the right side I get an imaginary answer, so something's wrong here.

Or, I could take m(dv/dt)=-mg-(1/2)cpAv^2 and set -mg-(1/2)cpAv^2=0 which would mean dv/dt=0 which is where the terminal velocity is hit, but then when I solve for v, again there's a negative in the square root so again I have an imaginary velocity.

I think I must be setting up the original equation wrong but I'm not seeing where the problem is. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that dv/dt is never zero while the bullet is moving up.

dv/dt=0 when the bullet is at the apex.

Related to How Does Air Resistance Affect a Bullet's Terminal Velocity?

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance is a force that acts against the motion of an object as it moves through the air. It is also known as drag force.

2. How does air resistance affect a bullet?

As a bullet travels through the air, it experiences air resistance which causes it to decelerate. This affects the trajectory and velocity of the bullet, ultimately determining its accuracy and distance.

3. What factors affect the air resistance of a bullet?

The air resistance of a bullet is affected by its speed, shape, and surface area. The faster the bullet travels, the greater the air resistance. Bullets with a larger surface area or irregular shape will also experience more air resistance.

4. Can air resistance be completely eliminated for a bullet?

No, air resistance cannot be completely eliminated for a bullet. However, it can be reduced by using a more streamlined bullet design or increasing the bullet's speed.

5. How is air resistance of a bullet measured?

The air resistance of a bullet is typically measured by its ballistic coefficient, which is a measure of its ability to overcome air resistance and maintain velocity. It is also measured by conducting experiments in a controlled environment using specialized equipment.