How Does a Rotating Disk Generate Voltage in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question involving a rotating conducting disk, a magnetic field, and the voltage difference between the center and edge of the disk. The student mentions their limited coverage of the topic in class and their attempt at solving the problem using physical reasoning and equations, but ultimately being unable to find a closed form equation. The question also raises the possibility of using Faraday's law to solve the problem.
Mannix

Homework Statement

A little bit of background, my Phys 2 w/Calc class has only covered up to chapter 30(Inductance) in Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday/Resnick. I'm not even sure why this was my homework(turned it in partially completed with written physical reasoning, a picture, and a couple equations). Only after turning it in did I find out the name of the device and the possibility that it may have required more than was covered thus far in class(I just figured that I had missed something). Review of the notes handed out yielded no mention of the Lorentz force.

The question is as follows: A conducting disk of radius r rotates about a perpendicular axis at the center of the disk at angular velocity ω with a magnetic field of magnitude B parallel to the axis covering the disk. What is the voltage difference between the center and the edge of the disk in terms of B, ω, and r?

Homework Equations

[tex]
\varepsilon=-\frac{d\phi_B}{dt}
[/tex]
[tex]
d\phi_B=\vec{B}\cdot \vec{A}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physically I figured the field would cause electron "drag" with the electrons on the edge being dragged a longer linear distance per unit time. This would result difference in the emf/potential/voltage. Following this line of reasoning the equation would break down to V=Const*B*ω*r. I tried applying the above equations but there was no [tex]{d\phi_B}[/tex]

Am I wrong in thinking this cannot be done with Faraday's law? Does my reasoning hold true at all in reality?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the end I wrote that I could not come up with a closed form equation and left it at that.If you need any clarification feel free to ask.

Related to How Does a Rotating Disk Generate Voltage in a Magnetic Field?

1. What is a homopolar generator?

A homopolar generator is a type of electrical generator that uses a magnetic field to produce electric current. It works by rotating a disc or cylinder of conductive material within a magnetic field, causing electric charges to move along the disc and generate electricity.

2. How does a homopolar generator produce electricity?

A homopolar generator uses the principle of electromagnetic induction to produce electricity. As the disc or cylinder rotates within the magnetic field, it causes a change in the magnetic flux, which in turn creates an electric field that produces a flow of electricity.

3. What are the advantages of a homopolar generator?

One of the main advantages of a homopolar generator is its simplicity and reliability. It has very few moving parts, making it less prone to mechanical failures. It is also able to produce large amounts of electricity at a constant rate, making it ideal for industrial and power generation applications.

4. What are the applications of a homopolar generator?

Homopolar generators are commonly used in high-power applications such as electric motors, particle accelerators, and some types of electric power plants. They are also used in some experimental and research projects, such as in the development of fusion reactors.

5. How does the emf of a homopolar generator compare to other types of generators?

The emf (electromotive force) of a homopolar generator is typically lower than that of other types of generators, such as traditional AC generators. However, it is able to produce a very large current, making it suitable for high-power applications. Its simple design also makes it more cost-effective and easier to maintain compared to other types of generators.