How Does a Rope Fall Through a Hole in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rope of mass M and length l on a frictionless table, with a portion hanging through a hole. The general solution for the length of the rope through the hole is given as ##x=Ae^{\gamma t}+Be^{-\gamma t}##, with ##\gamma^2=\frac{g}{l}##. The constants A and B are then evaluated to satisfy the initial conditions. The conversation also considers the momentum and acceleration involved in the problem.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

A rope of mass M and length l lies on a friction less table, with a short portion, ##l_0## hanging through a hole. Initially the rope is at rest.

a. Find a general solution for x(t), the length of rope through the hole.

(Ans: ##x=Ae^{\gamma t}+Be^{-\gamma t}##, where ##\gamma^2=\frac{g}{l}##)

b. Evaluate the constants A and B so that the initial conditions are satisfied.

Homework Equations

Momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't find this problem hard but I need an explanation.

The solution given solves the general equation ## \ddot x = \gamma ^ 2 x ##. If we multiply by rope mass on the right and on the left, we get

##\frac{M}{l}g x = M \ddot x ##

Since the left part of this equation is equal to net vertical external force, right part is equal to ##\frac{dP}{dt}## in vertical direction. Then the vertical momentum is ## P(t) = M \dot x ##

This is where I have a problem. To me we should have ## P(t) = m(t) \dot x## where ##m(t) = \frac{M}{l} x(t) ## is the hanging mass. The mass ## M - m(t) ## is not moving vertically, so how could it have vertical speed ?

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
The hole provides the force to change the direction of motion, there is no need to take this into account within the scope of this problem. You simply assume the 90°-turn works, and the force of gravity has to accelerate the whole rope with the same acceleration.

Just using the hanging mass does not work, then nothing could accelerate the part on the table.

I think you're neglecting the buildup in horizontal momentum as well as vertical, whereas the force is as you say just Mxg/l.

rude man said:
I think you're neglecting the buildup in horizontal momentum as well as vertical, whereas the force is as you say just Mxg/l.

Oh thank you! I have neglected the fact that

##\frac{d}{dt}( (M-m(t)) \dot x ) = 0 ##.

So

##M \ddot x = \frac{d}{dt}(m(t) \dot x)= M \gamma^2x ##,

which solves my problem.

Thanks to both of you, and merry Christmas !

geoffrey159 said:
Oh thank you! I have neglected the fact that

##\frac{d}{dt}( (M-m(t)) \dot x ) = 0 ##.

So

##M \ddot x = \frac{d}{dt}(m(t) \dot x)= M \gamma^2x ##,

which solves my problem.

Thanks to both of you, and merry Christmas !
Meery Christams to you too! Take some time off from physics! :-)

Related to How Does a Rope Fall Through a Hole in Physics?

1. What causes a rope to fall into a hole?

There are several possible causes for a rope to fall into a hole, such as gravity pulling it down, the rope being pushed or dropped by someone, or the rope being cut or torn by sharp edges.

2. How deep can a rope fall into a hole?

The depth to which a rope can fall into a hole depends on several factors, including the length and weight of the rope, the size and shape of the hole, and the force of gravity. In general, a rope can fall as deep as the length of the rope itself, but it may also get tangled or stuck at a certain depth.

3. Can a rope be retrieved once it falls into a hole?

In most cases, a rope can be retrieved from a hole if it has not fallen too deep or gotten caught on any obstacles. This may require the help of other tools or equipment, such as a hook or a grappling hook, to pull the rope back up to the surface.

4. How can a rope falling into a hole be prevented?

To prevent a rope from falling into a hole, proper precautions should be taken when handling the rope. This includes ensuring that the rope is securely tied to an anchor point, avoiding sharp edges or objects that can cut the rope, and maintaining a firm grip on the rope to prevent it from slipping away.

5. What are the potential dangers of a rope falling into a hole?

The potential dangers of a rope falling into a hole include injury to anyone who may be attached to the rope, damage to the rope itself, and difficulty retrieving the rope if it falls too deep or gets stuck. It is important to always use caution when handling ropes to avoid these potential dangers.