How Does a Hairdryer Use Less Current Despite High Home Voltage?

• Thread starter ethan12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the amp rating and voltage in an electrical circuit. The speaker is wondering how appliances with lower amp ratings can still function when connected to a 13 amp circuit. It is explained that the amp rating is just a measure of capacity, and the device will draw whatever amperage it needs based on its resistance. This can be compared to regulating water flow with a faucet. The speaker acknowledges their limited knowledge about electricity and welcomes any corrections or clarifications.
ethan12
Hi,
The UK., electricity supply is 13 amps at 230 volts. With such a current and e.m.f., how can we run appliances which don't need that e.g., a hairdryer with a 3 amp fuse. What stops the full 13 amps overwhelming the appliance? My question is not well put but I'm sure you know what I'm getting at. I'm a parent trying to help my son and I would like to give him the right answer even if the answer might take some thinking about. It's not for his homework just for our understanding.
Thank you for reading this.
Regards,
Ethan12.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. The amp rating of a circuit is just a capacity. The electrical device draws whatever amperage it needs.

For a given amount of voltage, the current goes down as the resistance goes up, and the hair dryer has a certain amount of resistance in it.

You can think of similar situation with a water faucet. The pressure of the water is the voltage, and you can regulate the current by opening or closing the faucet.

I don't know much about electricity and I'm kind of talking out of my *** and/or oversimplifying it, so someone correct me if they can.

Related to How Does a Hairdryer Use Less Current Despite High Home Voltage?

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, such as a wire. It is a form of energy that is essential for many everyday tasks and is used to power devices, appliances, and machines.

2. How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated in a variety of ways, including through the conversion of mechanical energy (such as wind turbines or hydroelectric dams), chemical reactions (such as in batteries), or nuclear reactions (such as in nuclear power plants).

3. What are the basic components of an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit consists of three basic components: a source of electricity (such as a battery or power outlet), a load (such as a light bulb or motor), and a conductor (such as a wire) to connect the source and load.

4. How is electricity measured?

Electricity is measured in units of volts (V), amperes (A), and watts (W). Voltage measures the force or pressure of the electricity, current measures the amount of electricity flowing, and power measures the rate at which electricity is used or produced.

5. What are the different types of electricity?

The two main types of electricity are direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). DC flows in one direction and is commonly used in batteries, while AC alternates its direction and is the type of electricity used in most homes and buildings.