How Does a Fluctuating Hamiltonian Affect the Expectation Value of Sx?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Hamiltonian with a random variable δ to reduce the value of <Sx>. The speaker suggests using the eigenfunctions of Sz and projecting Sx on that to simplify the computation. However, the other speaker mentions that the computation should not be too tedious and explains that the expectation value of the time-evolved operator can be calculated using x^H*Sx*x.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

Say I have a Hamiltonian given by H = δSz acting on my system, where δ is a random variable controlled by some fluctuations in my environment. I have to show that if I start out with <Sx>=½, then the Hamiltonian will reduce <Sx> to

<Sx> = ½<cos(δt)>

where the <> around the cosine means averaged over all values of δ. What I would do is to use

<eiHtSx(0)e-iHt> = <Sx(t)>

but this seems very tedious. Am I on the right path here?

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the easiest way to just get the eigenfunctions of Sz and then project Sx on that?

Niles said:
where the <> around the cosine means averaged over all values of δ. What I would do is to use

<eiHtSx(0)e-iHt> = <Sx(t)>

but this seems very tedious. Am I on the right path here?

Yes, but it shouldn't be a tedious computation. The expectation value of that time-evolved operator is just equal to x^H*Sx*x, where x is the time-evolved state vector. x is a 2x1 vector (written using the eigenvectors of H as a basis, because that's convenient) and Sx is a 2x2 matrix, so the computation shouldn't be too hard.

Related to How Does a Fluctuating Hamiltonian Affect the Expectation Value of Sx?

1. What is a fluctuating Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

A fluctuating Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics refers to a Hamiltonian operator that changes with time. This means that the energy of a system is not constant, but varies over time. This concept is important in understanding the dynamics of quantum systems, as it allows for the description of systems that are not in a stable state.

2. How does a fluctuating Hamiltonian affect the behavior of quantum systems?

A fluctuating Hamiltonian can lead to the phenomenon of energy-level crossings in quantum systems. This means that the energy levels of the system can intersect, causing transitions between energy states and resulting in non-trivial dynamics. It also allows for the exploration of non-equilibrium systems, where the energy of the system is constantly changing.

3. Can a fluctuating Hamiltonian be described mathematically?

Yes, a fluctuating Hamiltonian can be described using mathematical tools such as operator algebra and perturbation theory. It can also be represented using time-dependent Schrödinger equations. These mathematical descriptions allow for the prediction and analysis of the behavior of quantum systems with fluctuating Hamiltonians.

4. What are some real-world examples of systems with fluctuating Hamiltonians?

Fluctuating Hamiltonians can be observed in a variety of physical systems, such as atoms in a magnetic field, molecules in an electromagnetic field, and quantum dots in an electrical field. They are also relevant in the study of quantum systems in condensed matter and in quantum computing.

5. How do scientists use the concept of fluctuating Hamiltonians in their research?

Scientists use the concept of fluctuating Hamiltonians to study and understand the dynamics of quantum systems. This allows them to make predictions about the behavior of these systems and to design experiments to test these predictions. Fluctuating Hamiltonians also play a crucial role in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum communication.