How does a current balance work?

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding a concept called the current balance and solving a practice question involving a mass hanging on a wire. The person is looking for a simple explanation and is struggling with finding the answer due to lack of information. They mention equating BIL to the weight of the mass, but are unsure about the length of the wire. They also mention the importance of carrying units along in variables and calculations.
Tangeton
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I am looking for a very simplistic and understandable explanation for how it works as I don't seem to find any place that explains it well... I am just doing A Level which is equivalent to high school.

Also I've looked at a practice question in the book, and I've been given B (2.0x10^-3) and current (1.0A). I've been asked to find what the mass must be hanged on the other side in order for the system to be balanced, but I don't know how to since I haven't been given the length of the wire... I wanted to equate F = BIL (if I had the length) to the weight of the mass (mg) but I cannot do that unless I assume some sort of length. When I said l = 1 then I got 2.0 x 10^-4. There is no answer in the book... any ideas of how I'd approach this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tangeton said:
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I am looking for a very simplistic and understandable explanation for how it works as I don't seem to find any place that explains it well... I am just doing A Level which is equivalent to high school.

Also I've looked at a practice question in the book, and I've been given B (2.0x10^-3) and current (1.0A). I've been asked to find what the mass must be hanged on the other side in order for the system to be balanced, but I don't know how to since I haven't been given the length of the wire... I wanted to equate F = BIL (if I had the length) to the weight of the mass (mg) but I cannot do that unless I assume some sort of length. When I said l = 1 then I got 2.0 x 10^-4. There is no answer in the book... any ideas of how I'd approach this?

What's a current balance? Can you post a diagram or picture?

Also, it's best if you make a habit of carrying units along in your variables and calculations. When you say you are given "given B (2.0x10^-3)", what are the units?

berkeman said:
What's a current balance? Can you post a diagram or picture?

Also, it's best if you make a habit of carrying units along in your variables and calculations. When you say you are given "given B (2.0x10^-3)", what are the units?

Unit is the Tesla.
2q1ywqb.jpg

Related to How does a current balance work?

1. How does a current balance measure electric current?

A current balance works by using a magnet to create a magnetic field, which interacts with the electric current flowing through a wire. This interaction causes a force on the wire, which is balanced by another force (such as gravity or a spring) to measure the strength of the current.

2. What are the key components of a current balance?

The main components of a current balance include a magnet, a wire carrying the electric current, a force balance (such as gravity or a spring), and a way to measure the force exerted on the wire.

3. How can a current balance be used to measure the strength of an electric current?

The force exerted on the wire by the magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the electric current. By measuring the force and knowing the properties of the wire and magnetic field, the strength of the current can be calculated.

4. What are the advantages of using a current balance to measure electric current?

One of the main advantages of a current balance is its high accuracy. It can also measure both direct and alternating currents, and does not require any external power source.

5. How is a current balance calibrated?

A current balance is calibrated by first measuring the force exerted on the wire when a known current is passed through it. This force is then used to determine the constant of proportionality between force and current, which can be used to measure unknown currents.