How Does a Compound Pendulum Behave When Dropped and Restrained?

In summary, the angular velocity of the plate and the corner opposite to the one the wire is attached to, just after the wire is pulled taut, is sqrt(200^2+300^2) mm/s.
irishmts
a rectangular plate of length 300mm and depth 200mm, whose top left corner is attached to a wire of 200mm is dropped lengthways. What is the angular velocity of the plate and the speed of the corner opposite to the one the wire is attached to, just after the wire is pulled taut (it doesn't lengthen due to the stress). I've attached the diagram we were provided with to the bottom of this post.

I have been trying to use the compound pendulum equation: T = 2âˆsqrt(I/mgh), where I is the Inertia of the plate ( i used I = bd3/12, where b is the length and d is the depth), m is the mass of the plate, which was not provided, g is acceleration due to gravity and h is the distance from the top of the pendulum to the center of mass. T, the period can then be converted into ω using T = 2âˆ/ω. I also used the equations of linear motion to get the linear acceleration of the plate: v2 = u2+2as

I had gone down the route of assuming I could do it in two parts, ie, find the angular velocity of the plate about the end of the wire, and then relate it in some way to the angular velocity of a bob that would be on the end of the wire, but I got a little lost along the way.

Thank you for any help you can give me on this, mechanics is not my strong point at all.

Attachments

• physics question.png
    physics question.png
    5 KB · Views: 462
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that when the plate drops both points drop straight down too until the wire is taut. Once taut, then point b continues downward but in a circular arc of radius sqrt(200^2+300^2) mm and point a remains stationary.

Would there not be any kind of rotation about the top of the wire though?

Related to How Does a Compound Pendulum Behave When Dropped and Restrained?

1. What is a compound pendulum?

A compound pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a rigid body with a rotational axis that is not located at the center of mass. This results in the pendulum having a period of oscillation that is dependent on its moment of inertia and the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation.

2. How does a compound pendulum differ from a simple pendulum?

A compound pendulum differs from a simple pendulum in that it has a more complex structure with a non-linear relationship between its period of oscillation and its length. In contrast, a simple pendulum has a linear relationship between its period and length.

3. What factors affect the period of a compound pendulum?

The period of a compound pendulum is affected by its length, mass distribution, and the acceleration due to gravity. Changes in any of these factors can lead to a change in the period of oscillation.

4. How is the moment of inertia calculated for a compound pendulum?

The moment of inertia for a compound pendulum can be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of a body about an axis is equal to the moment of inertia of the body about a parallel axis through its center of mass plus the product of the mass of the body and the square of the distance between the two axes.

5. What are some real-world applications of compound pendulums?

Compound pendulums have many practical applications, such as in seismometers for measuring earthquakes, in clocks to keep time, and in vehicles for measuring suspension and vibration. They are also used in the construction of tall buildings to counteract the effects of wind and earthquakes.