How Does a Circular Hoop's Oscillation Period Change When Displaced by a Breeze?

In summary, the period of oscillation for a physical pendulum is calculated using the equation ## 2\pi \sqrt{I/mgh} ##, where I is the moment of inertia and d is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass. For a circular hoop with a mass of 3 kilograms and a radius of 20 centimeters hanging from a nail on a barn wall, the resulting period of oscillation can be found by considering it as a torsion pendulum with the equation ## T= 2 \pi \sqrt{I/c} ##, where I = MR^2 and c is the twisting coupling. The hyperphysics website provides a good summary of the concept of physical pendulums.
Safinaz

Homework Statement

the period of a physical pendulum is ## 2\pi \sqrt{I/mgh}, ## where I is the moment of
inertia about the pivot point and d is the distance from the pivot to the
centre of mass. A circular hoop hangs from nail on a barn wall. The
mass of the hoop is 3 kilogram and its radius is 20 centimetre . If it
is displaced slightly by a passing breeze, what is the period of the
resulting oscillation.

Homework Equations

What is the solution ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thank about as a motion of torsion pendulum, whose ## T= 2 \pi \sqrt{I/c} ##, with ## I = MR^2 ##, and c is the twisting coupling.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up "Physical Pendulum". The hyperphysics website gives a good summary.

Related to How Does a Circular Hoop's Oscillation Period Change When Displaced by a Breeze?

1. What is the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing, from its starting position, to one side, and back to its starting position again.

2. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is affected by three main factors: the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the gravitational pull of the Earth.

3. How is the period of a pendulum calculated?

The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period, l is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Does the amplitude of a pendulum affect its period?

No, the amplitude of a pendulum (the distance it swings from its starting position) does not affect its period. As long as the amplitude is small, the period remains constant.

5. How is the period of a pendulum affected by the location on Earth?

The period of a pendulum is slightly affected by the location on Earth due to variations in gravitational pull. However, these differences are very small and can be neglected for everyday pendulum experiments.