How Does a Charged Particle Behave in an Electromagnetic Field?

In summary, the relativistic Hamiltonian allows us to go from the initial
Mindscrape
If you go to the relativistic Hamiltonian, what allows us to go from
[tex]\dot{\vec{P}} = - \frac{\partial \mathcal{H}}{\partial \vec{x}} = e (\vec{\nabla} \vec{A}) \cdot \dot{\vec{x}} - e \vec{\nabla} \phi [/tex]
to
[tex]\frac{d}{d t}\left(\frac{m \dot{\vec{x}}} {\sqrt {1 - \frac{\dot{\vec{x}}^2}{c^2}}}\right) = e \vec{E} + e \dot{\vec{x}} \times \vec{B}[/tex]

Is there some identity with
[tex]\frac{\partial A^i}{\partial x^i}[/tex]
that turns it into a curl that I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should try using both Hamilton equations to find the relation between P and the velocity. Then get rid of P.

For a somewhat different Hamiltonian - see the attached gif form Cordinalesi, "Classical mechanics for physics graduate students".

Cordinalesi p. 251.gif

Last edited:
Both Hamilton's equations are used to get to the first line. I'm looking at the RHS and wondering how to go from the RHS of eqn 1 to the RHS of eqn 2. I'm having trouble coming up with an identity that will give me a curl and divergence of the vector potential from its form in eqn 1.

The LHS is not the same, so the RHS are also different - not a surprise.

I'm missing something. Why are the two LHS not the same? P is the relativistic momentum, so dP/dt is the LHS, no?

There are two kinds of momenta: kinematic (or "kinetic") momentum and canonical momentum. When there is an electromagnetic potential present, they are not equal. You can find the difference from your Hamiltonian. P there is the canonical momentum, not the kinetic momentum.

Ah, I see. So yeah, like you said earlier, I can get a relationship between x'' and p', then go through a whole bunch of tedious algebra to get the result. :(

Sometimes it is like that. We have to go through the whole bunch of tedious algebra to get, at the end, simple result. In such cases we are entled to think: "There must be a simple method!". And often, though not always, there is indeed one. In this case, I personally, do not know, right now, a simple method. Maybe someone knows it? Probably using Lagrangian formalism, rather than Hamiltonian one, is a simpler method. But you have asked about the Hamiltonian ...

Related to How Does a Charged Particle Behave in an Electromagnetic Field?

1. What is a charged particle in an electromagnetic field?

A charged particle in an electromagnetic field refers to a particle that has an electric charge and is subjected to the influence of an electromagnetic field. This field is created by the presence of electric and magnetic fields, which interact with the charged particle, causing it to move and experience forces.

2. How does a charged particle behave in an electromagnetic field?

A charged particle in an electromagnetic field will experience a force due to the interaction between its charge and the electric and magnetic fields. The direction and magnitude of this force depend on the strength and direction of the fields, as well as the charge and velocity of the particle.

3. What is the relationship between a charged particle's motion and the strength of the electromagnetic field?

The motion of a charged particle in an electromagnetic field is directly influenced by the strength of the fields. A stronger field will result in a greater force and acceleration on the particle, causing it to move faster and with greater kinetic energy.

4. How does an electromagnetic field affect the trajectory of a charged particle?

An electromagnetic field can alter the trajectory of a charged particle by exerting a force on it. Depending on the strength and direction of the fields, the particle's trajectory may be curved or deflected, causing it to follow a different path than it would without the influence of the fields.

5. What practical applications do charged particles in electromagnetic fields have?

Charged particles in electromagnetic fields have numerous practical applications, including particle accelerators for scientific research, medical imaging techniques such as MRI, and electrical power generation and transmission. They are also essential for the functioning of electronic devices such as computers and smartphones.