How Does a Charged Bead Behave in a Capacitor?

In summary, a small bead with a mass of 34 g and a charge of 140 mC enters a parallel plate capacitor with a velocity of 7 m/s. The plates are separated by 4 mm and the bead enters and exits 2 mm above the bottom plate. The potential difference between the plates can be calculated by equating the force of gravity and the electric force, and using the equation V=Ed. The initial speed of the bead is irrelevant in this calculation. However, the credibility of the exercise may be questionable as a 1 mm bead with a 9 pF capacitance would require a potential of a TeraVolt.
Peetah

Homework Statement

A small bead of mass m= 34 g and charge of Q=140 mC has a velocity (all in the horizontal direction) of 7 m/s as it enters the gap of a parallel plate capacitor, initially traveling parallel to the plates. The plates are separated by 4 mm. If the bead enters the capacitor 2 mm above the bottom plate, and leaves the capacitor 2 mm above the bottom plate, calculate the potential difference between the two plates.

m = 0.034kg
Q = 0.140 C
vx=7m/s
y = 0
d = 0.004m

Homework Equations

ma = Fg + qE
V = Ed

The Attempt at a Solution

I was more or less wondering how to conceptually think about this problem. Since the bead leaves the plates at the exact same height it was initially, does that mean that the force of gravity is equal to the electric force? Therefore I can equate

mg = qE

After, I can just sub in V = Ed into the force equation and solve for potential difference.
But with this solution, does that mean that the initial speed is irrelevant?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peetah.

Your analysis looks correct to me. The speed is irrelevant.

Something strange here. How can a 4 mm bead weigh 34 gram ? And how can it enter 2 mm above the bottom plate and still exit unscathed ? Isn't the top plate smack in the trajectory ?

Its not a 4mm bead, that's the separation distance between the two plates. Bead is point charge

I see. And what is its density, approximately, if it is smaller than 4 mm and still weighs 34 gram ?
A bead of r=1 mm has capacitance 9 pF. 140 mC on that gives a potential of a TeraVolt. Lightning!

But: you are not responsible for the credibility of the exercise. And:
Your analysis looks correct to me.
to me too ! Kudos!

Related to How Does a Charged Bead Behave in a Capacitor?

1. What is a Bead Entering Capacitor?

A Bead Entering Capacitor is a type of electronic component that combines the properties of a capacitor and a bead inductor. It is used to filter out high-frequency noise in electronic circuits.

2. How does a Bead Entering Capacitor work?

A Bead Entering Capacitor contains a ferrite bead and two metal plates separated by a dielectric material. The ferrite bead acts as an inductor, while the metal plates act as the capacitor. This combination allows the capacitor to filter out high-frequency noise by storing and releasing energy.

3. Where are Bead Entering Capacitors commonly used?

Bead Entering Capacitors are commonly used in electronic devices, such as computers, smartphones, and audio equipment. They are also used in power supplies and automotive electronics to reduce electromagnetic interference (EMI).

4. What are the benefits of using Bead Entering Capacitors?

Some of the benefits of using Bead Entering Capacitors include reducing high-frequency noise in electronic circuits, improving signal quality, and protecting electronic devices from EMI. They are also small in size, making them suitable for use in compact electronic devices.

5. Can Bead Entering Capacitors be used in all electronic circuits?

No, Bead Entering Capacitors are specifically designed for high-frequency noise filtering. They are not suitable for all electronic circuits and should only be used in circuits where high-frequency noise is a concern.