How Does a Ball's Mass Affect Its Final Velocity After Colliding with a Plank?

• Thread starter WannabeNewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a ball strikes the end of a plank and the final velocity of the ball is to be determined assuming conservation of mechanical energy. The solution involves using conservation of linear and angular momentum, and the direction of the final velocity depends on the ratio of masses and cannot be assumed at the beginning.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

A plank of length [itex]2l[/itex] and mass M lies on a friction-less plane. A ball of mass m and speed [itex]v_{0}[/itex] strikes its end as shown. Find the final velocity [itex]v_{f}[/itex] of the ball assuming mechanical energy is conserved and [itex]v_{f}[/itex] is along the original line of motion. Ans. clue. For m = M, [itex]v_{f} = \frac{3}{5}v_{0}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so because [itex]\sum F = \partial _{t}P = 0[/itex] and [itex]\sum \tau = \partial _{t}L = 0[/itex] (internal collision forces cancel as per Newton's 3rd law) we can use conservation of both linear and angular momentum. We are free to choose a viable coordinate system so any coordinate system with its origin fixed on the line of motion of the point particle of mass m will do the trick. In this frame, [itex]L_{0} = 0[/itex] because the plank is initially at rest and the particle's momentum is directed parallel to its position vector with respect to the origin in this frame. Since the question states that even after the collision the particle moves along the same line of motion, the angular momentum after comes entirely from the plank which is now rotating as well as translating in some form so [itex]L_{f} = I_{com}\omega(-\hat{k}) + lMV(\hat{k}) = (lMV - \frac{1}{3}Ml^{2}\omega)\hat{k} = 0 [/itex] and we get that [itex]\omega = \frac{3V}{l}[/itex]. We also have conservation of linear momentum and here is where I got confused. I'll do as I did on my note book and state my concern after: [itex]mv_{0} = -mv_{f} + MV[/itex] so [itex]V^{2} = \frac{m^{2}}{M^{2}}(v_{0} + v_{f})^{2}[/itex] and using this together with the expression for the angular velocity of the plank after the collision I was able to simply the conservation of mechanical energy equation, [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^{2} = \frac{1}{2}mv_{f}^{2} + \frac{1}{2}MV^{2} + \frac{1}{2}I_{com}w^{2}[/itex], down to [itex](1 + \frac{4m}{M})v_{f}^{2} + 8\frac{m}{M}v_{0}v_{f} + (\frac{4m}{M} - 1)v_{0}^{2} = 0[/itex] which gives the solutions [itex]v_{f} = -{v_{0}\frac{(\frac{4m}{M} \pm 1)}{(\frac{4m}{M} + 1)}}[/itex]. If I use m = M for the Ans. clue. then I get [itex]v_{f} = -\frac{3}{5}v_{0}[/itex] or [itex]v_{f} = -v_{0}[/itex]. My questions are these: I assumed at the beggining that the point particle would shoot backwards after colliding with the plank hence the negative sign but if I assume it keeps going in the same direction and do everything up till now the exact same way I get the right answer [itex]v_{f} = \frac{3}{5}v_{0}[/itex] but it makes intuitive sense to me that the particle would bounce back after hitting the plank thus causing the plank to rotate, and translate in the opposite direction; why would the particle keep moving forward? Secondly, there is the case v0 = vf and I don't see a justification for why this solution can be eliminated other than the fact that it would be a trivial solution where nothing at all happens to the plank. Thank you.

Attachments

• kleppner 6.37.jpg
    kleppner 6.37.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 688
Physics news on Phys.org
WannabeNewton said:
I assumed at the beggining that the point particle would shoot backwards after colliding with the plank hence the negative sign but if I assume it keeps going in the same direction and do everything up till now the exact same way I get the right answer [itex]v_{f} = \frac{3}{5}v_{0}[/itex] but it makes intuitive sense to me that the particle would bounce back after hitting the plank thus causing the plank to rotate, and translate in the opposite direction; why would the particle keep moving forward? Secondly, there is the case v0 = vf and I don't see a justification for why this solution can be eliminated other than the fact that it would be a trivial solution where nothing at all happens to the plank. Thank you.

Whether the colliding ball bounces back or moves in the original direction depends on the ratio of masses. Remember the case of two colliding point masses. When one is in rest, the lighter incoming ball bounces back, one with equal mass stops and a heavier one moves in the original direction. The masses are equal here. in case m/M<1/4 the ball would bounce back.

You get vf=vo a possible solution. You got vf from the conservation equations and they are also valid when nothing happens: the ball does not touch the plank.

ehild

ehild said:
Whether the colliding ball bounces back or moves in the original direction depends on the ratio of masses. Remember the case of two colliding point masses. When one is in rest, the lighter incoming ball bounces back, one with equal mass stops and a heavier one moves in the original direction. The masses are equal here. in case m/M<1/4 the ball would bounce back.

You get vf=vo a possible solution. You got vf from the conservation equations and they are also valid when nothing happens: the ball does not touch the plank.

ehild

Thank you. So when I start I should not assume anything about the direction of the final velocity and that way its sign will come naturally out of what I choose for M,m?

WannabeNewton said:
Thank you. So when I start I should not assume anything about the direction of the final velocity and that way its sign will come naturally out of what I choose for M,m?

Yes. Decide what direction you choose as positive, and do not assume anything about the direction of the unknown velocity. It will come out.

ehild

First of all, great job on using conservation of momentum and energy to solve this problem. Your approach is correct and your calculations seem to be accurate.

To address your concerns, it is important to note that the direction of the final velocity of the ball (v_{f}) depends on the relative masses of the ball and the plank. In the case where m = M, the final velocity of the ball will be in the opposite direction of its initial velocity (v_{0}). This is because the masses are equal, so the momentum of the ball needs to be conserved and the only way to do that is for the ball to bounce back with the same magnitude of momentum but in the opposite direction.

However, in the case where m < M, the final velocity of the ball will be in the same direction as its initial velocity. This is because the larger mass of the plank will have a greater influence on the final velocity, and the ball will continue in the same direction as before but with a smaller magnitude of velocity.

Regarding the case of v_{0} = v_{f}, this would indeed result in a trivial solution where nothing happens to the plank. This is because the ball would simply come to rest after the collision, and the plank would not experience any rotation or translation.

In summary, the direction of the final velocity (v_{f}) depends on the relative masses of the ball and the plank. In the case where m = M, the ball will bounce back and the plank will experience both rotation and translation. In the case where m < M, the ball will continue in the same direction but with a smaller velocity, and the plank will only experience rotation. The case of v_{0} = v_{f} would result in no change to the motion of the plank.

Related to How Does a Ball's Mass Affect Its Final Velocity After Colliding with a Plank?

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

How does the mass of the ball and plank affect the collision?

The mass of the objects involved in a collision affects how they interact. The larger the mass, the more force is required to change its momentum. In the case of a ball colliding into a plank, a heavier ball will have a greater impact on the plank and cause it to move more.

What factors determine the outcome of the collision?

The outcome of a collision is determined by several factors, including the masses of the objects, their velocities, and the angle at which they collide. In the case of a ball colliding into a plank, the speed and direction of the ball, as well as the rigidity and orientation of the plank, will all affect the outcome of the collision.

What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision remains the same. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted to other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. In the case of a ball colliding into a plank, if the collision is perfectly elastic, the ball will bounce off the plank with the same speed it had before. If the collision is inelastic, the ball will lose some of its kinetic energy and may not bounce back as high.

Can the ball and plank have the same mass and still produce different collision outcomes?

Yes, the mass of the objects is just one factor that affects the collision outcome. Other factors such as velocity and angle of collision can also play a role in the outcome. Additionally, the material and rigidity of the objects can also impact the collision. For example, a ball made of a softer material may have a different outcome when colliding with a rigid plank compared to a ball made of a harder material.