How Does a 10% Reduction in Sun's Power Affect Earth's Temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question about the temperature of the Earth if the Sun's power is reduced by 10%, assuming an albedo of 0.3 and not considering greenhouse effects. The conversation also includes an equation from a book and a discussion about the understanding of the equation. The conversation ends with a request for help in solving the problem.
aforce20

Homework Statement

1. If the Sun’s power is reduced by 10%, what would the temperature of the Earth be? Assume an albedo of 0.3 and do not consider greenhouse effects.

Homework Equations

There is an equation here in the book but it makes no sense to me

The Attempt at a Solution

Without the understanding of the equation, I have no attempt

Physics news on Phys.org
aforce20 said:
There is an equation here in the book but it makes no sense to me

Without the understanding of the equation, I have no attempt

Hi aforce20! :smile:

What equation?

Here is the example from the book that we are supposed to go off of
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The total energy absorbed for a solar constant, or available power per unit area at Earth's orbit, of 1.35 kW/m2 is, assuming an albedo (reflectivity) of 30%

Pabsorbed = (1 -0.3)( 1.35 kW/m2) ([PLAIN][PLAIN]http://www.kartones.net/images_posts/pi_symbol.png RE2)

A body at absolute temperature T radiates according to the Stefan-Boltzmann law as

Pradiated = ( 5.67 x 10-8 W/m2 K4) T4 (4[PLAIN][PLAIN]http://www.kartones.net/images_posts/pi_symbol.png RE2)

where Earths total spherical surgace area is 4[PLAIN][PLAIN]http://www.kartones.net/images_posts/pi_symbol.png RE2 . Thus, since in the long term the power absorbed must again be radiated for Earth to be in equilibrium, Pradiated = Pabsorbed , and [PLAIN][PLAIN]http://www.kartones.net/images_posts/pi_symbol.png RE2 is a common factor , so( 1 - 0.3 ) ( 1.35 kW/m2) = 4(5.67 x 10-8 W/m2k4) T4

Therefore,

T4 = ( 0.7) (1350 W/m2)/4(5.67 x 10-8 W/m2 K4) = 4.17 x 109 K4

or

T=254 K

BTW I could not find the pi symbol so I used one from google, that is why it is so huge. Also, this class is for non-science majors so try not go get to technical here.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
aforce20 said:
The total energy absorbed for a solar constant, or available power per unit area at Earth's orbit, of 1.35 kW/m2 is, assuming an albedo (reflectivity) of 30%

Pabsorbed = (1 -0.3)( 1.35 kW/m2) (π RE2)

A body at absolute temperature T radiates according to the Stefan-Boltzmann law as

Pradiated = ( 5.67 x 10-8 W/m2 K4) T4 (4π RE2)

where Earths total spherical surgace area is 4π RE2 . Thus, since in the long term the power absorbed must again be radiated for Earth to be in equilibrium, Pradiated = Pabsorbed , and π RE2 is a common factor , so

( 1 - 0.3 ) ( 1.35 kW/m2) = 4(5.67 x 10-8 W/m2k4) T4

Therefore,

T4 = ( 0.7) (1350 W/m2)/4(5.67 x 10-8 W/m2 K4) = 4.17 x 109 K4

or T=254 K

Hi aforce20! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)

The basic equation simply says that the power out must equal the power in.

Which line do you not understand?

I just don't know where to start in solving the problem :frown:

Someone please help me through this ?

Related to How Does a 10% Reduction in Sun's Power Affect Earth's Temperature?

1. What is radiation balance?

Radiation balance is the balance between incoming radiation from the sun and outgoing radiation from the Earth's surface and atmosphere. It is important because it helps regulate the Earth's climate and temperature.

2. How does radiation balance affect the Earth's temperature?

When the amount of incoming radiation is greater than the amount of outgoing radiation, the Earth's temperature increases. When the amount of outgoing radiation is greater, the Earth's temperature decreases. This balance is important in maintaining a stable climate.

3. What factors can influence radiation balance?

Several factors can influence radiation balance, including the Earth's tilt and rotation, cloud cover, atmospheric composition, and surface features such as land and water. Human activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels, also play a role in altering radiation balance.

4. How do scientists measure radiation balance?

Scientists use instruments such as satellites, radiometers, and spectrometers to measure incoming and outgoing radiation. They also use computer models to simulate and predict changes in radiation balance.

5. How does radiation balance contribute to climate change?

When there is an imbalance in radiation, such as an increase in incoming radiation due to greenhouse gas emissions, it can lead to a rise in global temperatures and contribute to climate change. By understanding and monitoring radiation balance, scientists can better understand and predict the impacts of climate change.