How Does a 10°C Temperature Increase Double the Rate of a Slow Reaction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the study of reactions in terms of kinetic energy, reaction rates, and collision theory. The question posed is about the effect of a 10-degree Celsius increase in temperature on the kinetic energy and reaction rate of a slow reaction. The explanation lies in understanding the activation energy and how it relates to the proportion of molecules with enough energy to surpass it. The question may require further thought and analysis to fully understand.
Sisyphus
We are currently studying reactions in terms of kinetic energy, reaction rates, collision theory, and so on.

There is a question on my assignment that is kind of boggling me right now:

An increase in temperature of 10 C rarely doubles the kinetic energy of particles, and hence the number of collisions is not doubled. Yet, this temperature increase may be enough to double the rate of a slow reaction. How can this be explained?

I'm not sure if it has to do with the wording of the question, but I'm really not getting this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
aA+bB -> cC + dD
use abcd in relation to temp to explain the problem

Think about the rate of a reaction in relevance to the activation energies of the respective reaction. At a particular temperature and kinetic energy distribution of the molecules, more or less these molecules may have enough energy in surpassing the activation energy.

So if a reaction rate is fast, at a particular starting equilibrium temperature, what does this tell you about the proportion of the molecules which have enough energy surpass the activation energy?

I've given you more than a big hint for this problem,

Related to How Does a 10°C Temperature Increase Double the Rate of a Slow Reaction?

What is Chemical Kinetics?

Chemical Kinetics is the branch of chemistry that studies the rates of chemical reactions and the factors that affect them.

What is the difference between chemical kinetics and chemical thermodynamics?

Chemical kinetics focuses on the speed of a chemical reaction, while chemical thermodynamics deals with the energy changes that occur during a reaction.

What are the factors that affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

The factors that affect the rate of a chemical reaction include temperature, concentration, surface area, catalysts, and the nature of the reactants and products.

What is the rate law of a chemical reaction?

The rate law of a chemical reaction is an equation that relates the rate of the reaction to the concentrations of the reactants. It is determined experimentally and can be used to predict how changes in concentration will affect the reaction rate.

How do catalysts affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

Catalysts are substances that increase the rate of a chemical reaction by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur. They do not undergo any permanent chemical changes and can be used repeatedly in a reaction.