How Do You Solve These Advanced Optics Problems?

• Thread starter slaw155
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, the conversation discusses three physics problems that the individual has been struggling with. The first problem involves calculating the angle between two polarisers based on the intensity of an unpolarised light beam. The second problem involves finding the distance between an object and a lens based on the lens's focal length and magnification. The third problem involves determining the number of dark fringes observed in a diffraction pattern produced by a single slit with given dimensions and light wavelength. The expert summarizer offers hints and prompts for the individual to consider in order to solve the problems, including taking into consideration the unpolarised nature of the light in the first problem and determining the spread angle of the light in the third problem.
slaw155
Hi

I have been trying to work these out over the last few days and can get part way through but not get to the final answer. So some help would be appreciated http://www.thephysicsforum.com/images/smilies/smile.png

1. An unpolarised light beam of 2mm diameter carrying 4mW of power passes through two polarisers. The intensity after the second polarizer is 75W/m^2. What is the angle between the axes of the two polarisers?
I'm thinking: initial intensity = power/area = 4mW/(4 x pi x (2mm)^2), and then you use final intensity = initial intensity x (cosx)^2, however this gives me the wrong answer from the textbook answer of 70degrees.

2. A diverging lens of focal length 6mm produces an image of magnification of 1/2. What is the distance between the object and lens?
I have no idea how to approach this besides knowing 1/f = 1/di + 1/do and magnification = -di/do (correct answer = 6mm)

3. How many dark fringes can be observed in the diffraction pattern produced by a single slit of width 2.3micrometres with green light of wavelength 535m?
They don't give us the angle so I don't know how to use the formula dsinx= m x wavelength here. (correct answer = 8)

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, I would suggest making one thread per question. This will make it easier to help you and keep discussing only one problem per thread instead of mixing them all up. Anyway ...

slaw155 said:
1. An unpolarised light beam of 2mm diameter carrying 4mW of power passes through two polarisers. The intensity after the second polarizer is 75W/m^2. What is the angle between the axes of the two polarisers?
I'm thinking: initial intensity = power/area = 4mW/(4 x pi x (2mm)^2), and then you use final intensity = initial intensity x (cosx)^2, however this gives me the wrong answer from the textbook answer of 70degrees.

Hint: What is the intensity of the light in between the polarisers?

slaw155 said:
2. A diverging lens of focal length 6mm produces an image of magnification of 1/2. What is the distance between the object and lens?
I have no idea how to approach this besides knowing 1/f = 1/di + 1/do and magnification = -di/do (correct answer = 6mm)

You have two equations and two unknowns, did you try to solve this system of equations?

slaw155 said:
3. How many dark fringes can be observed in the diffraction pattern produced by a single slit of width 2.3micrometres with green light of wavelength 535m?
They don't give us the angle so I don't know how to use the formula dsinx= m x wavelength here. (correct answer = 8)

How is the light going to be dispersed after passing through the slit? (I.e., in what directions relative to the slit will there be light?) What is the angular difference between the fringes?

Orodruin said:
Generally, I would suggest making one thread per question. This will make it easier to help you and keep discussing only one problem per thread instead of mixing them all up. Anyway ...
Hint: What is the intensity of the light in between the polarisers?You have two equations and two unknowns, did you try to solve this system of equations?How is the light going to be dispersed after passing through the slit? (I.e., in what directions relative to the slit will there be light?) What is the angular difference between the fringes?

Q1. I used the formula intensity between polarisers = initial intensity x (cosx)^2 with x=0degrees and initial intensity = P/A where A=4 x pi x r^2, and then used this as the initial intensity in intensity after 2nd polariser = intensity between polarisers x (cosx)^2 but this still gives me the wrong answer? Is my method of calculating initial intensity correct or is there a different formula to use rather than Area being area of a sphere in P/A?
Q2. I did try to solve the two equations together, ended up with a quadratic equation, which I solved to give distance = 0.66mm, which is wrong compared to the correct answer of 6mm?
Q3. After considering your questions I thought the angle x in dsinx=n x wavelength must be 90degrees but this still does not work.

Last edited:
Q1. Your incoming light is unpolarized, meaning it comes in an equal combination of both polarizations. How does this affect your results?
Q2. I have not done it explicitly so I cannot offer more advice than that I gave in my previous point.
Q3. Let us start from the beginning, what is the spread angle of the light after the slit?

for any help!

Hi there,

I can understand how these problems may be challenging. Let's take a look at each one individually and see if we can work through them together.

1. For the first problem, you are on the right track with using the formula for intensity. However, remember that the intensity of light passing through a polarizer is given by I = I0cos^2θ, where θ is the angle between the polarizer's axis and the direction of polarization of the incoming light. So, in this case, we have an initial intensity of 4mW/(4π(2mm)^2) and a final intensity of 75W/m^2. We can set these equal to each other and solve for θ, which should give us the angle between the axes of the two polarizers.

2. For the second problem, you are correct in using the lens equation and the magnification equation. The key here is to remember that the magnification is negative for a diverging lens, so your equation should be -di/do = -1/2. From there, you can solve for do to find the distance between the object and the lens.

3. For the third problem, the formula dsinθ = mλ is used to calculate the angles at which the bright fringes occur in a diffraction pattern. However, for dark fringes, the formula is slightly different: dsinθ = (m + 1/2)λ. So, in this case, we can plug in the given values and solve for m to find the number of dark fringes.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem-solving!

Related to How Do You Solve These Advanced Optics Problems?

1. What are some common examples of challenging optics problems?

Challenging optics problems can include topics such as diffraction, interference, polarization, and lens aberrations. Examples of specific problems could include calculating the diffraction pattern of a double-slit experiment, determining the optimal angle for maximum polarization, or correcting for chromatic aberration in a lens.

2. How can I approach solving challenging optics problems?

One approach to solving challenging optics problems is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can involve using equations and principles from optics, as well as considering the physical properties and behavior of light. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams and visualize the problem in order to better understand the underlying concepts.

3. What tools and techniques can be used to solve challenging optics problems?

There are a variety of tools and techniques that can be used to solve challenging optics problems. These can include mathematical equations, computer simulations, experimental setups, and analytical reasoning. Depending on the specific problem, different tools and techniques may be more useful than others.

4. What are some real-world applications of challenging optics problems?

Challenging optics problems have many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as optics, astronomy, and engineering. These problems can help scientists and engineers design and improve optical instruments, such as telescopes and microscopes, and understand the behavior of light in various systems. They can also be used to develop new technologies, such as optical sensors and communication systems.

5. Are there any resources available for practicing and improving skills in solving challenging optics problems?

Yes, there are many resources available for practicing and improving skills in solving challenging optics problems. These can include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and workshops or courses. It can also be helpful to work with a mentor or study group to discuss and collaborate on solving problems. It is important to actively engage with and practice challenging optics problems in order to improve problem-solving skills and understanding of the concepts.