How Do You Solve the Complex Equation \( z^2 + 4\overline{z} + 4 = 0 \)?

In summary, the given equation is a quadratic polynomial with a complex variable z. To solve for z, one can use the quadratic formula or factor the equation. By substituting z=a+bi and equating the real and imaginary parts to zero, the equation can be solved for its solutions.
ronho1234
find all solutions to z^2+4z ̅+4=0 where z is a complex number. Please help with this qn I'm having difficulty. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a quadratic polynomial. Do you not know how to factor these/the quadratic formula?

so is the answer just 2i^2?

or is it 2?

ronho1234 said:
find all solutions to z^2+4z ̅+4=0 where z is a complex number. Please help with this qn I'm having difficulty. thanks

That's a conjugate isn't it?

Suppose so then you have:

[tex]z^2+4\overline{z}+4=0[/tex]

Then let [itex]z=a+bi[/itex]

so:

[tex](a+bi)^2+4(a-bi)+4=0[/tex]

equate real and imaginaries to zero. That's two equations in two unknowns. Solve them.

Related to How Do You Solve the Complex Equation \( z^2 + 4\overline{z} + 4 = 0 \)?

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (b being the imaginary unit).

How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 4i) = (3+5) + (2i+4i) = 8 + 6i.

Can you multiply or divide complex numbers?

Yes, you can multiply and divide complex numbers. To multiply, use the distributive property and the fact that i² = -1. To divide, multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator (the same number with the opposite sign for the imaginary part).

What is the complex conjugate of a complex number?

The complex conjugate of a complex number is the same number with the opposite sign for the imaginary part. For example, the complex conjugate of 3 + 2i is 3 - 2i.

How do you graph a complex number?

To graph a complex number, plot the real part on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. The point (a,b) represents the complex number a + bi. You can also represent a complex number in the complex plane, where the x-axis represents the real part and the y-axis represents the imaginary part.