How Do You Solve Incline and Spring Problems in Physics?

In summary: where g is the gravitational constant, u is the user's velocity, and k is the spring constant...so when he is at the bottom of the incline and his velocity is zero, his acceleration is negative and that is what gives him the negative distance travelled up the incline. so y-initial would be 0 and y-final would be the negative of the distance travelled up the incline, which in this case is -10
Draco

Homework Statement

A 50 g ice cube can slide without friction up and down a 30 degree slope. The ice cube is pressed against a spring at the bottom of the slope, compressing the spring 10 cm. The spring constant is 25 N/m. When the ice cube is released, what total distance will it travel up the slope before reversing direction?

b)The ice cube is replaced by a 50 g plastic cube whose coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.20. How far will the plastic cube travel up the slope?

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2
1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not a fan of incline problems and I honestly have no clue on how to start this question. Can someone please guide me through it and help me come up with a set of steps that will help me through future incline problems?

Homework Statement

The spring shown in the figure is compressed 50 cm and used to launch a 100 kg physics student. The track is frictionless until it starts up the incline. The student's coefficient of kinetic friction on the 30 degree incline is 0.15.

a)What is the student's speed just after losing contact with the spring?
b)How far up the incline does the student go?

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6145/knightfigure1154nl2.th.jpg

Homework Equations

1/2kx^2
1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a) which was 14.1m/s using the law of conservation of energy, but as I mentioned before, I always get stuck on incline questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
um, ok well i got the answer to part a of question 1 which was 51cm, but I am not sure how to include friction in the incline problem. can anyone please help?

[tex]\frac {1}{2}m[v^{2} - v_{0}^{2}] + mg[y - y_{0}] + \frac {1}{2}k[x^{2} - x_{0}^{2}] = W_{F} + W_{ext}[/tex]

so now there is no spring involved and at the top, we stop moving further and eventually slide down. so we take that instant to be v=0, our equation simplifies to

[tex]\frac {1}{2}m[v^{2} - v_{0}^{2}] + mg[y - y_{0}] + = W_{F}[/tex]

for part b

Last edited:
i think i got confused

A 50 g ice cube can slide without friction up and down a 30 degree slope. The ice cube is pressed against a spring at the bottom of the slope, compressing the spring 10 cm. The spring constant is 25 N/m. When the ice cube is released, what total distance will it travel up the slope before reversing direction?

b)The ice cube is replaced by a 50 g plastic cube whose coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.20. How far will the plastic cube travel up the slope?

is there a picture by chance? what is y_initial?

Last edited:
Draco said:
um, ok well i got the answer to part a of question 1 which was 51cm, but I am not sure how to include friction in the incline problem. can anyone please help?
in order to include friction, you must draw another force body diagram and solve for the Normal force

you're already given kinetic friction, so just find normal and you're good to go!

[tex]W_{F}=\mu_{k}N\cos{\phi}[/tex]

[tex]\phi=\mbox{angle between}[/tex]

Last edited:
but with that do i add it to the potential energy, or only use the frictional force energy?

sorry, but there is only a picture for the second one. Part b of both questions are similar so the method would be the same right?

Draco said:
sorry, but there is only a picture for the second one. Part b of both questions are similar so the method would be the same right?
basically

and the equation is still the same, just modified ... and I'm not sure what y-final or y-initial is, but of course y-initial should be taken as 0 and y-final, idk; and I'm sure you're solving for s.

[tex]\frac {1}{2}m[v^{2} - v_{0}^{2}] + mg[y - y_{0}] + = \mu_{k}Ns\cos{\phi}[/tex]

but in order to get N, you need a FBD ... which will most likely equal the weight.

Last edited:
HOw did you get 51 cm for the first part?

I didnt use a velocity, since there is only gravitational energy present in the equation. That's how i got 51. I know its right, my answer matches the correct answer

I don't doubt that you are right. I just cant' seem to come to that value with my calculations.

Er.. I am not sure i keep getting 78 as my answer for how much he goes up the incline.. my h was 0 since it was he was at 0 before he goes up the incline, and my v was 14.1m/s and i solved for s but i got it wrong

I got part B to that question..

a = -g(ukcos0 +sino)

Related to How Do You Solve Incline and Spring Problems in Physics?

1. What is the relationship between the angle of inclination and the force of a spring?

The force of a spring is directly proportional to the angle of inclination. This means that as the angle of inclination increases, so does the force of the spring. This relationship is known as Hooke's Law.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its behavior on an inclined plane?

The mass of an object does not affect its behavior on an inclined plane. The angle of inclination and the force of gravity are the only factors that determine an object's behavior on an inclined plane.

3. Can an object slide down an inclined plane without any external force?

Yes, an object can slide down an inclined plane without any external force as long as the angle of inclination is steep enough and the object has enough mass. This is due to the force of gravity acting on the object.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the motion of an object on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in the motion of an object on an inclined plane. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a slower and more controlled descent, while a lower coefficient of friction will result in a faster and more uncontrolled descent.

5. Can the angle of inclination and the spring constant be used to calculate the force of a spring?

Yes, the angle of inclination and the spring constant can be used to calculate the force of a spring using Hooke's Law. The formula is F = kxsinθ, where F is the force of the spring, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the spring, and θ is the angle of inclination.