How Do You Solve cosθ = sin2θ/2 Using Trigonometric Identities?

• Thread starter theintarnets
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, when solving the equation cosθ = sin2θ/2, the correct first step is to write sin^2(θ) in terms of cos^2(θ). This will result in a quadratic equation, which can then be solved to find the value of θ that satisfies the equation. It is important to note that the solutions to the quadratic equation must be set equal to the original equation in order to find the correct value for θ.
theintarnets

Homework Statement

cosθ = sin2θ/2

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know what to do. I tried using the half and double angle identities and this is what I got:
cosθ = (1-cos2θ)/2
2cosθ = 1-cos2θ
2cosθ + cos2θ = 1
2cosθ + 2cos2θ -1 = 1
2(cosθ + cos2θ) = 2
cosθ + cos2θ = 1
cos2θ + cosθ - 1 = 0

I'm not sure if that can be factored, so I tried using the quadratic formula. I got (-1 ± √5)/2
What am I supposed to do now? I don't even know if I did this right. Someone pleeeaase help mee ):

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your very first step is wrong: [itex]sin^2(\theta) \neq 1-cos(2\theta)[/itex]

I would suggest writing [itex]sin^2(\theta)[/itex] in terms of [itex]cos^2(\theta)[/itex] right from the start! You'll end up with a quadratic equation, similar in form as your last equation you gave (which is wrong!). When you solve this quadratic equation, what exactly is set equal to the answer?

Related to How Do You Solve cosθ = sin2θ/2 Using Trigonometric Identities?

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to solve for unknown angles or sides in a triangle.

What are the basic trigonometric identities?

The basic trigonometric identities are sine squared plus cosine squared equals one, tangent equals sine over cosine, and cosine squared plus sine squared equals one. These identities are used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations.

How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must isolate the variable by using algebraic techniques and the basic trigonometric identities. You may also need to use inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, to solve for the unknown angle.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving a trigonometric equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a trigonometric equation include forgetting to use the basic trigonometric identities, using the wrong inverse trigonometric function, and not checking for extraneous solutions. It is also important to be familiar with the unit circle and to use proper units when working with trigonometric equations.

What are some real-world applications of trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, astronomy, and architecture. They are used to calculate distances, angles, and heights, and to model various natural phenomena, such as waves and vibrations.