How Do You Solve Complex Contour Integrals with Trigonometric Substitutions?

In summary: Now, ##F(\theta)## depends only on the function ##\theta## and not on the coordinate ##q##, so you can factor it out of ##J## and getJ = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_0^{\pi} \cos(\theta) F(\theta) \, d \theta
demoncore
Missing homework template due to originally being posted in other forum.
I am attempting to calculate the following integral.

$$\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C \frac{du}{u^2} exp({-\frac{(q - \frac{q_0}{2i} (u - u^{-1}))^2}{2\sigma^2}})$$

Taken over the unit disk. I first make the substitution $$z = q - \frac{q_0}{2i} (u - u^{-1})$$ So,
$$dz = -\frac{q_0}{2i}(1 + u^{-2})du$$

When I attempt to back-substitute in for u, however, I find the following expression:

$$u = \frac{(q - z)i \pm \sqrt{q_0^2 - (q - z)^2}}{q_0}$$
I am not sure where to proceed from here. Arbitrarily choosing one or the other solution for u doesn't seem to give me the correct answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried deconstructing your ##e## to multiple terms? I think you could take a term outside the integral.

demoncore said:
I am attempting to calculate the following integral.

$$\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C \frac{du}{u^2} exp({-\frac{(q - \frac{q_0}{2i} (u - u^{-1}))^2}{2\sigma^2}})$$

Taken over the unit disk.

If you set ##u = e^{i \theta}## you can write the integral (call it ##J\,## ) in the form
[tex] J = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_0^{2 \pi} i e^{i \theta} e^{-2 i \theta} E(\theta) \, d \theta,\\
E(\theta) = \exp \left(- \frac{1}{2 \sigma^2} \left(q - q_0 \sin(\theta) \right)^2 \right)[/tex]
Thus, ##J = J_r+ i J_i##, where
[tex] J_r = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_0^{2 \pi} \cos(\theta) E(\theta) \, d \theta, \\
J_i = -\frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_0^{2 \pi} \sin(\theta) E(\theta) \, d \theta[/tex]
Note that ##J_r = 0## because the integrand is asymmetric about ##\theta = \pi/2## on the interval ##[0,\pi]## and is asymmetric about ##\theta = 3 \pi/2## on the interval ##[\pi, 2\pi]##. However, ##J_i \neq 0##. In numerous numerical examples we find ##J_i < 0##.

I doubt that ##J_i## has a simple (if any) elementary formula, but numerical integration works well on it, especially if one computes the parts for ##[0,\pi]## and ##[\pi, 2\pi]## separately. Alternatively, this separation can be done analytically, to get
[tex] J_i = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_0^{\pi} \sin(\theta) F(\theta), \, d \theta, \\
F(\theta) = \exp \left(- \frac{1}{2 \sigma^2} (q + q_0 \sin(\theta))^2 \right) -
\exp \left(- \frac{1}{2 \sigma^2} (q - q_0 \sin(\theta))^2 \right) [/tex]

Related to How Do You Solve Complex Contour Integrals with Trigonometric Substitutions?

1. What is a difficult contour integral?

A difficult contour integral is a type of mathematical function that involves integrating along a complex curve or path in the complex plane. These integrals can be challenging to solve due to the complex nature of the curves and functions involved.

2. How do you solve a difficult contour integral?

Solving a difficult contour integral involves using a combination of mathematical techniques such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations, the residue theorem, and contour deformation. It also requires a good understanding of complex analysis and the properties of complex functions.

3. What are some real-world applications of difficult contour integrals?

Difficult contour integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are commonly used to solve problems involving electromagnetic fields, fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and more. They also have applications in statistics and finance.

4. Can you provide an example of a difficult contour integral?

One example of a difficult contour integral is the evaluation of the Fresnel integral, which arises in the study of diffraction and wave propagation. It involves integrating a complex exponential function along a path in the complex plane.

5. What are some tips for solving difficult contour integrals?

Some tips for solving difficult contour integrals include choosing an appropriate contour, using symmetry properties of the integrand, understanding the behavior of the function near singularities, and breaking the integral into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also important to practice and develop a strong understanding of complex analysis and integration techniques.