How Do You Solve an Integral with Two Variables?

In summary, Dan found a solution to the integral equation using Wolfram Alpha, while Country Boy found a solution by hand. The two solutions are different, but it is unclear why.
goohu
Hey there, trying to figure out how to solve this integral (see picture).

View attachment 8728

I've never seen an integral written in this way before.

I've tried to integrate the x-part first and then the y-part and vice versa but they both gave the wrong results.

Attachments

• dd.JPG
    dd.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 60
  • dd.JPG
    dd.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 57
  • dd.JPG
    dd.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First [tex]\int_0^{y/2} (1- x^2) dx= \left[x- \frac{x^3}{3}\right]_0^{y/2}= \frac{y}{2}- \frac{1}{3}\frac{y^3}{8}[/tex]

Then [tex]\int_0^1 (1- y^2)(\frac{y}{2}- \frac{y^3}{24} dy= \int_0^1 \frac{y}{2}- \frac{13y^3}{24}+ \frac{y^5}{24} dy= \left[\frac{y^2}{4}- \frac{13y^4}{96}+ \frac{y^6}{144}\right]_0^1= \frac{1}{4}- \frac{13}{96}+ \frac{1}{144}= \frac{72+ 39+ 2}{288}= \frac{113}{288}[/tex].

Finally, [tex]\frac{9}{4}\frac{113}{288}= \frac{113}{128}[/tex].
(Check my arithmetic.)

thanks for the quick reply. I re-did your calculations and get the same results as you. After using wolfram alpha (online calculator) i get different results though:

first step:
View attachment 8730

second step:
View attachment 8731

(35/288)*(9/4) = 35/128 = correct answer.

This is weird and its bugging me. Are the hand calculation wrong somewhere?

Attachments

• 1st.JPG
    1st.JPG
    2.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 2st.JPG
    2st.JPG
    3.1 KB · Views: 51
goohu said:
thanks for the quick reply. I re-did your calculations and get the same results as you. After using wolfram alpha (online calculator) i get different results though:

first step:second step:(35/288)*(9/4) = 35/128 = correct answer.

That's why I deleted my post in this thread. I can't find an error in Country Boy's result, which is essentially identical to my own. I can't explain why the two are different.

-Dan

goohu said:

first step:second step:(35/288)*(9/4) = 35/128 = correct answer.

Country Boy said:
[tex]\ldots = \frac{1}{4}- \frac{13}{96}+ \frac{1}{144}= \frac{72+ 39+ 2}{288}= \frac{113}{288}[/tex]

It's a plus-and-minus thing.
It should be [tex]\frac{1}{4}- \frac{13}{96}+ \frac{1}{144}= \frac{72 {\color{red}-} 39+ 2}{288}= \frac{35}{288}[/tex]

heh found it.

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \frac{1}{4}-\frac{13}{96}+\frac{1}{144} = \frac{72-39+2}{288}\)
while i was figuring out how to post equations klaas beat me to it. Cheers anyways!

Related to How Do You Solve an Integral with Two Variables?

1. What is the concept of integral of two variables?

The integral of two variables is a mathematical concept that calculates the area under a surface in a two-dimensional coordinate system. It is a way to measure the volume of a solid or the area of a plane region in a Cartesian coordinate system.

2. How is the integral of two variables calculated?

The integral of two variables is calculated by dividing the surface into small rectangles and summing up their areas. This process is known as Riemann sum. As the size of the rectangles becomes smaller and smaller, the Riemann sum approaches the actual value of the integral.

3. What are the applications of integral of two variables?

The integral of two variables has various applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It is used to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of a two-dimensional object. It is also used to determine the work done by a force, the volume of a solid, and the surface area of a curved shape.

4. Are there different types of integrals of two variables?

Yes, there are two types of integrals of two variables - double integrals and iterated integrals. Double integrals calculate the volume under a surface, while iterated integrals calculate the area of a plane region. Both types of integrals have different methods of calculation and are used in different situations.

5. How can I solve problems involving the integral of two variables?

To solve problems involving the integral of two variables, you need to have a good understanding of the concept and its different methods of calculation. It is also helpful to have a solid foundation in calculus and geometry. Practice is key, so solving various problems and examples can improve your skills in solving problems involving the integral of two variables.