How Do You Solve a 2D Elastic Collision Problem with Angle Relationships?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem that involves using equations for momentum and energy conservation to solve for unknown variables. The problem is solved by writing down three equations, two for momentum conservation and one for energy conservation, and using the geometry of the collision to find the missing angles. The person had difficulty solving the problem at first but eventually found the solution.
chadarebubble

Homework Statement

The attached file is all the information on the problem

Homework Equations

.5mv^2 =.5mv1^2 + .5m2^2
p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried plugging the known values in the equations and and substituting the various equations together and every time I come up with an equation that has two unknowns in it.

Attachments

• physics.png
    physics.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you write down three (3) equations? Two for momentum conservation and one for energy conservation.

kuruman said:
Did you write down three (3) equations? Two for momentum conservation and one for energy conservation.
yes I did, the equations I was able to come up with are:
V1cos(θ1) + V2cos(θ2) = 5 (momentum in x direction)
V1sin(θ1) + V2sin(θ2) = 0 (momentum in y direction)
.5(V1)2 + .5(V2)2 = 12.5 (energy conservation)
θ1 + θ2 = 90

I worked on these equations for about an hour and came up with nothing, and feel like there is something I'm missing

Last edited:
Sorry, I cannot read the fine print. Can you make all characters the same size?

kuruman said:
Sorry, I cannot read the fine print. Can you make all characters the same size?
Had a problem with subscripts overlapping but I think it's fixed.

You are missing that sinθ1 = cosθ2 and cosθ1 = sinθ2. You should be able to get either one of these angles from the geometry of the collision.

Related to How Do You Solve a 2D Elastic Collision Problem with Angle Relationships?

What is a 2D elastic collision?

A 2D elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in a two-dimensional space, where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved.

How is the momentum conserved in a 2D elastic collision?

In a 2D elastic collision, the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is due to the fact that there is no external force acting on the system, so the total momentum remains constant.

What is the equation for calculating the final velocities in a 2D elastic collision?

The equation for calculating the final velocities in a 2D elastic collision is v1f = (m1-m2)/(m1+m2)*v1i + 2m2/(m1+m2)*v2i and v2f = 2m1/(m1+m2)*v1i + (m2-m1)/(m1+m2)*v2i, where v1f and v2f are the final velocities of objects 1 and 2, m1 and m2 are the masses of objects 1 and 2, and v1i and v2i are the initial velocities of objects 1 and 2.

What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost, usually in the form of heat or sound, and the objects stick together after the collision.

What are some real-life examples of 2D elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of 2D elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, two cars colliding on a frictionless surface, and a tennis ball hitting a wall and bouncing off in the opposite direction.