How Do You Simplify the Determinant of This 4x4 Matrix?

In summary, the conversation discusses a 4x4 matrix and finding a simpler approach to solving it. One suggestion is to factor out the first row to get a 3x3 matrix, while another is to subtract the fourth row from all other rows. Ultimately, it is suggested to use the determinants of 2x2 block matrices to find the answer efficiently.
erodger

Homework Statement

Hello, I am stuck on this particular question for my homework.

It is a 4x4 Matrix that consists of

a b b b

b a b b

b b a b

b b b b

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach has been to factor out the a to give the first row of 1 b b b and then use that to make the first column consist of

and so i can then do the cofactor expansion and reduce it to a 3x3 matrix. but after that step, it gets extremely tedious and i believe that the approach must be wrong.

Can anyone point out a simpler approach to this question or was I on the right track and just have to endure the tedious algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
erodger said:
My approach has been to factor out the a to give the first row of 1 b b b

How did you do that? If you factor out a, you get [itex]1 \quad \frac{b}{a} \quad \frac{b}{a} \quad \frac{b}{a}[/itex]

Can anyone point out a simpler approach to this question

Hint: What do you know about block matrices? Specifically, if each block is 2x2 and you have 2x2 of them?

erodger said:
It is a 4x4 Matrix that consists of

a b b b

b a b b

b b a b

b b b b

Can anyone point out a simpler approach to this question or was I on the right track and just have to endure the tedious algebra?

Why not subtracting the fourth row from all others?

ehild

yeah that fourth row subtraction may have been the best... oh well i solved it by converting that into 4 3x3 matrices and then solving all of those 3x3 matrices.

thanks for the replies though.

Subtracting the fourth raw from all other rows, you get the determinant

(a-b) 0 0 0
0 (a-b) 0 0
0 0 (a-b) 0
b b b b

Expand with respect to the fourth column.

ehild

In fact, because that is a "lower triangular" matrix, its determinant is just the product of the numbers on the main diagonal.

In any case, your suggestion that he subtract the last row from each of the other rows was excellent.

HallsofIvy said:
In fact, because that is a "lower triangular" matrix, its determinant is just the product of the numbers on the main diagonal.

I knew it but I could not tell the complete solution. :biggrin:

ehild

Well, he still has to do the multiplication!:-p

Related to How Do You Simplify the Determinant of This 4x4 Matrix?

1. What is a determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

A determinant of a 4x4 matrix is a numerical value that is calculated from the elements of the matrix. It is used to determine various properties of the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.

2. How is the determinant of a 4x4 matrix calculated?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix is calculated by expanding the matrix into a sum of smaller matrices, each with a smaller dimension. This process is known as Laplace expansion or cofactor expansion.

3. What does it mean if the determinant of a 4x4 matrix is equal to zero?

If the determinant of a 4x4 matrix is equal to zero, it means that the matrix is singular and does not have an inverse. This means that the matrix cannot be used to solve systems of equations or perform other operations that require an inverse matrix.

4. Can the determinant of a 4x4 matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a 4x4 matrix can be negative. The sign of the determinant depends on the arrangement of the elements in the matrix and the operations performed to calculate it. A negative determinant indicates that the matrix has been subjected to an odd number of row exchanges during the calculation process.

5. What is the significance of the determinant of a 4x4 matrix in real life applications?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix has many real life applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to solve systems of equations, calculate areas and volumes, determine the stability of structures, and more. In essence, the determinant provides important information about the relationships between variables in a system.