How Do You Relate the Accelerations in a Disk and Pulley System?

In summary, the problem involves a disk of mass M and radius R on which a tape is wrapped, with a mass m suspended from the other end. The disk drops vertically and the accelerations of m and M are related to the disk's angular acceleration α. The equations of motion are T - mg = ma and T - Mg = MA, with the constraint equation A + a = Rα. The given clue in the book, "if A= 2a then α= 3A/R," is a typo and should read "α= 3a/R."
Avi Nandi

Homework Statement

A disk of mass M and radius R unwinds from a tape wrapped around it. The tape passes over a frictionless pulley and mass m is suspended from the other end. Assume that the disk drops vertically.

a. relate the accelerations of mass m and disk ,a and A, respectively to the angular acceleration of the disk.

b. Find a, A and α.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

equations of motion : T - mg = ma
T - Mg = MA

-TR = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]MR[itex]^{2}[/itex]α

Are these equations of motion wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Avi Nandi said:
equations of motion : T - mg = ma
T - Mg = MA
Which direction are you taking as positive, up or down? If up, I would write that as ma = T + mg etc., where g takes a negative value. But it's maybe a matter of personal preference.
-TR = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]MR[itex]^{2}[/itex]α

Are these equations of motion wrong?
They look ok to me, but you've not written out the relationships between A, a, α and R. That is where this question fools some people.

I took up as the positive direction. But I think T and g are always opposing each other. I have written a constraint equation A + a = Rα. But the clue given in the book is " if A= 2a then α= 3A/R"

Avi Nandi said:
" if A= 2a then α= 3A/R"

That's a typo in the book. There was a thread on the same problem recently.

Likes 1 person
Avi Nandi said:
I took up as the positive direction. But I think T and g are always opposing each other. I have written a constraint equation A + a = Rα. But the clue given in the book is " if A= 2a then α= 3A/R"
The consensus is that it's an error in the book. It should say α= 3a/R. See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=722327

Likes 1 person

Related to How Do You Relate the Accelerations in a Disk and Pulley System?

What is rotation?

Rotation refers to the movement of an object around an axis or center point.

What is a disk?

A disk is a circular object with a flat surface that rotates around its center point.

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine consisting of a wheel with a groove around its circumference, used to change the direction of a force applied to a rope or cable.

How does a disk and pulley system work?

A disk and pulley system works by using the rotation of the disk to transfer energy and change the direction of a force applied to the pulley.

What are some real-world applications of rotation: disk and pulley?

Rotation: disk and pulley systems are commonly used in various machines and devices, such as bicycles, elevators, and construction cranes, to transfer and amplify energy and force.