How Do You Prove a Point is Critical When a Function is Non-Negative Nearby?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
In summary, the POTW, or Problem of the Week, is a weekly challenge designed to promote and enhance students' scientific inquiry and critical thinking skills. It is chosen by a team of educators and scientists and is open to all students who are interested in science. The solution to the POTW is not given out immediately, allowing students to use their critical thinking skills to come up with a solution, but may be provided after a certain amount of time has passed.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $f : \Bbb R^n \to \Bbb R$ be differentiable at $\mathbf{x}_0$. If $f(\mathbf{x}_0) = 0$ and $\mathbf{x}_0$ has an open neighborhood $V \subset \Bbb R^n$ such that $f(\mathbf{x}) \ge 0$ for all $\mathbf{x}\in V$, prove that $\mathbf{x}_0$ is a critical point of $f$, i.e., $\nabla f(\mathbf{x}_0) = \mathbf{0}$.

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this POTW. You can read my solution below.

Fix $i\in \{1,\ldots, n\}$. If $h$ is a sufficiently small positive number such that $\mathbf{x}_0 \pm h\mathbf{e}_i\in V$, then $0 \le f(\mathbf{x}_0 \pm h\mathbf{e}_i) = f(\mathbf{x}_0) \pm h\partial_if(\mathbf{x}_0) + o(h) = \pm h\partial_i f(\mathbf{x}_0) + o(h)$ so that $-o(h) \le \partial_i f(\mathbf{x}_0) h \le o(h)$ or $-\frac{o(h)}{h} \le \partial_i f(\mathbf{x}_0) \le \frac{o(h)}{h}$. Letting $h \to 0$ results in $\partial_i f(\mathbf{x}_0) = 0$.

Related to How Do You Prove a Point is Critical When a Function is Non-Negative Nearby?

1. What is the POTW?

The POTW stands for "Problem of the Week". It is a weekly challenge or puzzle presented to students or individuals to test their problem-solving skills in various fields of science.

2. How is the POTW chosen?

The POTW is usually chosen by a team of scientists or educators who carefully select a problem that is challenging yet solvable for students of different levels. The problem is often related to current events or real-world applications.

3. What is the purpose of the POTW?

The purpose of the POTW is to encourage critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity in the field of science. It also serves as a platform for students to apply their knowledge and skills to real-world problems and challenges.

4. How can I submit my solution to the POTW?

Most POTW challenges have a designated submission process, which can vary depending on the organization or institution hosting the challenge. Usually, submissions are accepted through email or an online platform, and the guidelines for submission are provided with the problem.

5. Are there any rewards for solving the POTW?

The rewards for solving the POTW can vary, but they often include recognition, certificates, or prizes such as books or scientific equipment. However, the main reward is the satisfaction of solving a challenging problem and the opportunity to learn and improve problem-solving skills.