How Do You Model Viral Growth with Differential Equations?

In summary: Okay, so that solves the problem.In summary, the viral growth is modeled by an equation of the form dn/dt=c*n-b, where c and b are constants. c can be found by solving dn/dt=c*n.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

When certain viral particles enter the bdoy, the replicate to 160% every four hours and the immune system eliminates these particular viral particles at the rate of 50000 viral particles per hour. Find an equation modeling this viral growth.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I could really just use some help getting this problem off the gound, so any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any thoughts? I'm not sure what you are confused about. They want you to set up an ODE with terms representing growth rate and elimination rate, right?

I'm not exactly sure what they want me to do. My orignial thought was [itex]n = n_0(1.6^{t/4}) - 50000t[/itex] but this doesn't seem right since it assumes that every particle has the opportunity to replicate before being eliminated. I haven't done much with ODEs but if you don't mind helping me set one up, I think that I might be able to solve the problem.

jgens said:
I'm not exactly sure what they want me to do. My orignial thought was [itex]n = n_0(1.6^{t/4}) - 50000t[/itex] but this doesn't seem right since it assumes that every particle has the opportunity to replicate before being eliminated. I haven't done much with ODEs but if you don't mind helping me set one up, I think that I might be able to solve the problem.

I don't think that's right either. Your replication rate is independent of the number viral particles present. And it's not an ODE. Want to try again? You want an expression for dn/dt.

I'm sorry, but do you think that you could give me a little bigger hint? I'm really struggling to do anything with dn/dt.

Here's a really big hint. How about an equation of the form dn/dt=c*n-b where c and b are constants? Can you use your replication data to find c?

So, using that hint I'm probably looking for something like . . .

[tex]\frac{dn}{dt} = (1.6)n - b[/itex]

Well, no. Let's go back a step. dn/dt=(growth rate)-(elimination rate), right? Growth rate should be proportional to n, also right? So you can find growth rate by solving dn/dt=c*n. What's the solution? Now if n grows by 160% in 4 hours, what's c?

Okay, so would c = ln(1.6)/4 then?

jgens said:
Okay, so would c = ln(1.6)/4 then?

There you go. That's it.

Okay, so . . .

[tex]\frac{dn}{dt} = \frac{\ln{1.6}}{4}n - 50000[/tex]

And this is a differential equation of the form

[tex]n' + P(x)n = Q(x)[/tex]

Is this right so far?

jgens said:
Okay, so . . .

[tex]\frac{dn}{dt} = \frac{\ln{1.6}}{4}n - 50000[/tex]

And this is a differential equation of the form

[tex]n' + P(x)n = Q(x)[/tex]

Is this right so far?

It is. But that's a little harder than it needs to be. Your equation is separable.

How is the above DE seperable?

jgens said:
How is the above DE seperable?

In the usual way. dn/(ln(1.6)*n/4-50000)=dt. All of the n's on the left, all of the t's on right. Separable.

Related to How Do You Model Viral Growth with Differential Equations?

1. What is mathematical modeling?

Mathematical modeling is the process of creating a mathematical representation of a real-world situation or system. It involves using equations, data, and assumptions to describe and predict the behavior of the system.

2. Why is mathematical modeling important?

Mathematical modeling is important because it allows scientists to study and understand complex systems that may be difficult or impossible to observe directly. It also allows for predictions to be made about the behavior of the system under different conditions, which can aid in decision-making and problem-solving.

3. How is mathematical modeling used in different fields of science?

Mathematical modeling is used in a wide variety of fields, including physics, biology, economics, and engineering. In physics, it is used to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems. In biology, it is used to study ecosystems, population dynamics, and disease spread. In economics, it is used to analyze markets and make predictions about financial trends. In engineering, it is used to design and optimize structures and systems.

4. What are some common challenges in mathematical modeling?

Some common challenges in mathematical modeling include collecting accurate and representative data, choosing appropriate equations and assumptions, and validating the model's predictions against real-world observations. Additionally, different models may produce different results, making it important to carefully consider and compare multiple models when making decisions based on mathematical modeling.

5. How can mathematical modeling be used to solve real-world problems?

Mathematical modeling can be used to solve real-world problems by providing a quantitative understanding of complex systems and processes. By creating and analyzing models, scientists can identify key factors and relationships that influence the behavior of the system. This information can then be used to make predictions and inform decision-making in fields such as healthcare, environmental conservation, and economics.