How do you know which factor to use?

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
In summary: I hope this helps.In summary, factoring is the process of rewriting an expression as a product of its factors. In some cases, there may be more than one acceptable factorization, and the choice may depend on the context or preferences of
Holocene
How do you know which factor to use?

I know what factoring is. Basically, you take any given number or expression, and rewrite it as a product of its factors.

For instance in 3xy + 9y, every term is divisable by "3y", so we could rewrite it as 3y(x + 3).

But, consider: [tex]\displaystyle{28xy^2 - 14x}[/tex]

Every term there is divisible by "14x", so is there something at all wrong with: [tex]\displaystyle{14x(2y^2 - 1)}[/tex]?

That's how I would factor it, but the book instead choose to use "7x" as the factor, and uses [tex]\displaystyle{7x(4y^2 - 2)}[/tex] as the answer.

If given an exam, how do you know which factor they are going to claim is the "correct" one?

Thanks a lot.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Neither factorization is incorrect, but if asked to simplify an expression by factoring, the book's answer would not be acceptable.

slider142 said:
Neither factorization is incorrect, but if asked to simplify an expression by factoring, the book's answer would not be acceptable.

Thanks.

So basically just go with the greatest possible factor?

Holocene said:
Thanks.

So basically just go with the greatest possible factor?

Yes in general you should pull out all the factors that you can. In that book answer there is still a factor or 2 remaining inside the brackets, so you would typically lose marks for giving that answer.

As slider pointed out neither of the two factorizations is incorrect. Both expressions are in a factorized form and both are equal to the original expressions. There could even be instances where you may prefer the incomplete factorization. Say you had to simplify

[tex] \frac{28 x y^2 - 14x}{4y^2 - 2} [/tex]

In this case the incomplete factorization of the numerator might lead to a slightly quicker solution.

Last edited:
Holocene said:
I know what factoring is. Basically, you take any given number or expression, and rewrite it as a product of its factors.

For instance in 3xy + 9y, every term is divisable by "3y", so we could rewrite it as 3y(x + 3).

But, consider: [tex]\displaystyle{28xy^2 - 14x}[/tex]

Every term there is divisible by "14x", so is there something at all wrong with: [tex]\displaystyle{14x(2y^2 - 1)}[/tex]?

That's how I would factor it, but the book instead choose to use "7x" as the factor, and uses [tex]\displaystyle{7x(4y^2 - 2)}[/tex] as the answer.

If given an exam, how do you know which factor they are going to claim is the "correct" one?

Thanks a lot.
Factorizations are not unique, and what counts as "simplest" may often be a matter of taste.

One rule of thumb, though:
1. In general, an expression is not simplified by introducing explicit fractions, radicals etc.
For example,
the valid factorization [tex]28xy^{2}-14x=23\sqrt{x}y(\frac{28}{23}\sqrt{x}y-\frac{14\sqrt{x}}{23y})[/tex] is not generally regarded as a simplification.

one does not know which factorization to use until one knows what ring the factorization occurs in. in general one wants to factor somehting into irreducible elements and ignore units.

in the ring Z[X,Y], the units are 1 and -1, so one would have four irreducible factors

2(7)X(2Y^2-1), but if the ring is Q[X,Y], then all non zero costants are units, your element will only have 2 irreducible factors, and hence the 2 and the 7 do not matter. so either of your factorizations is entirely acceptable and equivalent.

i.e. two irreducible factors whose quotient is a unit are equivalent, so 2X, 7X, X, and 14X are all equivalent, so in fact X(28Y^2-14) is just as good as the others.

on the other hand, in the ring Q(X,Y), which is a field, there is no need to factor it at all, since the original element is a unit.but it seems to me the people who wrote your book are not very knowledgeable and are not following these rules for factorizations but are just following some pattern they think is "nice" and simple. so it is difficult to say what they will prefer as an answer.

Last edited:
Ideally you want to reduce it into its prime factors. Can't get anything simpler than that. So yours would be correct.

as i said, the meaning of the word "prime" or "irreducible", depends on the containing ring, and what are its units, since units are not prime, but define an equivalence relation on primes.

thus you want to factor into "primes" p , but where u.p and p are considered equivalent if u is a "unit", i.e. is invertible.

thus in Z[X,Y], 2 is a prime, but not in Q[X,Y], and in Q(X,Y) not even X is a prime.

Last edited:

Related to How do you know which factor to use?

1. How do you determine which factor to use in your research?

The factors used in research are typically determined by the research question or hypothesis. The researcher will identify the main variables that they believe are related to the research question and these will become the factors used in the study.

2. What is the importance of choosing the right factor for a study?

The choice of factors in a study is crucial as they can greatly impact the results and validity of the research. Choosing the right factors ensures that the study is focused and relevant to the research question, and can lead to more accurate and meaningful conclusions.

3. How do you ensure that the selected factor is valid and reliable?

To ensure the validity and reliability of a factor, researchers use various methods such as conducting pilot studies, using established measurement tools, and conducting statistical analyses. These methods help to ensure that the factor accurately measures what it is intended to measure.

4. Can the chosen factor change during the course of a study?

In some cases, the chosen factor may need to be modified or changed during the course of a study. This may happen if new information or data emerges, or if the factor is found to be invalid or unreliable. However, any changes to the factor should be carefully considered and clearly justified.

5. How do you determine the appropriate sample size based on the chosen factor?

The appropriate sample size for a study will depend on various factors, including the chosen factor. Researchers use statistical calculations and power analyses to determine the minimum sample size needed to detect a significant effect of the chosen factor. It is important to ensure that the sample size is large enough to accurately represent the population being studied.