How Do You Integrate Using Partial Fractions and Trig Substitution?

The integral becomes\int5tan(t)/((5tan(t))^{2}+25)^{2} * 5sec^2(t)dt + 2\int5sec^2(t)/((5tan(t))^{2}+25)^{2} * 5sec^2(t)dt= 5\inttan(t)/(25(tan(t)^{2}+1)^{2}) dt + 10\intsec^2(t)/(25(tan(t)^{2}+1)^{2}) dt= 5\inttan(t)/(25(tan(t)^{2}+1)^{2}) dt + 10\int1/(25(tan
aselin0331

Homework Statement

[tex]\int(5x+2)/(x^{2}+25)^{2}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int5x/(x^{2}+25)^{2}dx+2\int1/(x^{2}+25)^{2}dx[/tex]

I can integrate the first part using u substitution then I am stuck at the second part...my partial fraction answer is the same as the question when I use the Ax+b, Cx+D thing...

I think it looks like an arc tan but I don't know how to go from there..

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi aselin0331! welcome to pf! :smile:

for the second integral, use a trig substitution :wink:

aselin0331 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int(5x+2)/(x^{2}+25)^{2}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int5x/(x^{2}+25)^{2}dx+2\int1/(x^{2}+25)^{2}dx[/tex]

I can integrate the first part using u substitution then I am stuck at the second part...my partial fraction answer is the same as the question when I use the Ax+b, Cx+D thing...

I think it looks like an arc tan but I don't know how to go from there..

Thank you!

A trig substitution will work. Let x = 5 tan t, so dx = 5 sec2(t) dt.

Related to How Do You Integrate Using Partial Fractions and Trig Substitution?

1. What is partial fractions integration?

Partial fractions integration is a technique used in calculus to break down a complex fraction into simpler fractions that can be integrated separately. This is done by decomposing the original fraction into a sum of smaller fractions with specific denominators.

2. When is partial fractions integration used?

Partial fractions integration is commonly used when integrating rational functions, which are functions that can be written as a ratio of two polynomials. It is also used in solving differential equations and finding antiderivatives.

3. How is partial fractions integration performed?

To perform partial fractions integration, the original fraction is first factored into its irreducible factors. Then, the coefficients of the smaller fractions are found using a system of equations. Finally, the smaller fractions are integrated separately and combined to find the overall integral.

4. What are the benefits of using partial fractions integration?

Partial fractions integration allows for the integration of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler components. It also makes it easier to find the antiderivatives of rational functions and solve differential equations, as it reduces the amount of algebraic manipulation needed.

5. Are there any limitations to partial fractions integration?

Partial fractions integration can only be used for rational functions, so it is not applicable to all types of functions. It is also more time-consuming and requires a good understanding of algebra to perform accurately.