How Do You Illustrate Waveforms for Different 8-QAM Modulation Techniques?

• Thread starter icednyior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modulation
In summary: Each waveform will represent a different value from 000 to 111, based on the properties of amplitude, phase, and frequency.
icednyior

Homework Statement

Illustrate in wave forms for data “101001000111010011110100” by using the following modulation techniques:
(a) 8-QAM (2 bit ASK + 1 bit PSK)
(b) 8-QAM (2 bit PSK + 1 bit ASK)
(c) 2 bit PSK + 1 bit FSK

2. The attempt at a solution
*attached* apparently I got it all wrong. I am such a noob :confused: Would appreciate any help on this. thanks :D

Attachments

• mod1.jpg
    mod1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,643
Physics news on Phys.org
First, can you draw the I-Q diagrams for each of those encoding schemes? I don't think I could draw the time-domain waveforms without first sketching the I-Q diagrams...

berkeman said:
First, can you draw the I-Q diagrams for each of those encoding schemes?
we weren't given the I-Q diagrams. I only know how to do the ASK, PSK and FSK diagrams.

According to the email from my lecturer, he said
it is all about representing a group of bits with a wave form. If you are using 256-QAM, it means you have 256 waveforms to represent any combination of 8 bits of data. 2 to the power of 8 is 256.

obviously in you assignment, it is a 3-bit modulation. 2^3=8, so you will have to define 8 different waveforms to represent a group of 3 bits data.
Each waveform will represent 000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111 respectively.
Each waveform will be different from each other based on the 3 properties of waveform: Amplitude, Phase & Frequency.
If ASK, then the amplitude is different
If PSK, then the phase is different
If FSK, then the frequency is different
If ASK + PSK, then the combination of Amplitude and phase are different.
First, define the 8 sets of waveform and bit-group respectively

Then, If you data is given as 101110111, you can split it up to 101, 110 and 111.
lastly, use the defined waveform to represent each of them...

how do i know what wave form to represent for each group of 3 datas? do i just assign it myself. And what is the difference between 1 bit ASK and 2 bit ASK? Help! I am really desperate to get the answer to this question. *cries*

1 bit ASK is on-off keying. So a 0 might be represented by a flat line, and a 1 represented by one period of a sine wave. 2-bit ASK means that the amplitude can take on 4 values, say from zero to full scale in even steps. Although, as a practical matter, it is best not to use zero amplitude for the bottom of the ASK. You typically will pick a maximum modulation depth less than 100%. So for 1-bit ASK, you might pick amplitudes of 0.5 and 1.0 for the single cycle sine waves. And so on. There are optimal values for these amplitudes, based on channel characteristics. But in your current problem set, I don't think they are asking you to optimize much -- just understand the basic concepts.

So for 8-PSK, you would draw a single cycle sine wave for the 000 value, and phase shift it by 2PI/8 for the 001 value, etc. I'm not sure how they want you to connect the individual timeslots in your waveforms -- you can see that some of the transitions make for some pretty ugly overall time domain waveforms. But there are ways to handle that also (have you learned those yet?).

EDIT -- fixed "2PI/8"

Well, in truth, he didn't give you a necessary piece of data: the map between a symbol (like 101) and the corresponding point in the constellation.

He probably wouldn't mind if you assign symbols to points in the constellation yourself, but, honestly, he didn't give you enough information to unambiguously answer the question.

- Warren

Related to How Do You Illustrate Waveforms for Different 8-QAM Modulation Techniques?

1. What is 8-QAM modulation and how does it work?

8-QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) is a type of digital modulation technique that uses both amplitude and phase to transmit data. It works by dividing the input signal into two separate channels, each carrying a different amplitude and phase. This allows for the transmission of 8 different symbols, resulting in a higher data rate compared to other modulation techniques.

2. What are the advantages of using 8-QAM modulation?

One of the main advantages of 8-QAM modulation is its high data rate, which allows for more information to be transmitted in a given amount of time. It also has good spectral efficiency, meaning it can transmit a large amount of data using a smaller bandwidth. Additionally, 8-QAM is less susceptible to noise compared to other modulation techniques, making it a reliable choice for data transmission.

3. How is 8-QAM modulation different from other modulation techniques?

8-QAM differs from other modulation techniques, such as QPSK and BPSK, in that it uses both amplitude and phase to transmit data. This allows for a higher number of symbols to be transmitted, resulting in a higher data rate. It also has a higher spectral efficiency compared to other techniques, making it a more efficient use of bandwidth.

4. What are the applications of 8-QAM modulation?

8-QAM modulation is commonly used in digital communication systems such as satellite and cable TV, wireless networks, and digital subscriber lines (DSL). It is also used in digital audio broadcasting, video conferencing, and digital radio systems. Its high data rate and reliability make it a popular choice for these applications.

5. What are the limitations of 8-QAM modulation?

One of the main limitations of 8-QAM modulation is its susceptibility to interference and noise. As the number of symbols increases, the distance between them decreases, making it more challenging to distinguish between them. This can result in errors during data transmission. Additionally, 8-QAM requires a higher signal-to-noise ratio compared to other modulation techniques, making it less suitable for long-distance communication.